Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Binary weighted audio DAC? — Parallax Forums

Binary weighted audio DAC?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-05-21 03:37 in Propeller 1
I recall using something like this www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_13/2.html (Binary weighted DAC) back in the late 80's to play my .MOD files out of my LPT port to my stereo. Has anyone done anything like this on the propeller yet?

A six or eight bit DAC would use a few pins, but perhaps I could get us closer to MP3 type playback?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!

Comments

• M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2007-05-21 03:37
    You'd get 8 bit mono output -- not very good for today.

If I was told to do something like that, given the Prop's speed I'd implement some serial-to-parallel arrangement (maybe just a shift register) to give me 16 bit stereo, then amplify that. I guess I'd need some sort of clocked sample-hold arrangement to make sure I'm only outputting what I want to output. This way you'd only use up a couple pins per channel tops.... of course this requires more external parts.

I recall reading a lot about other people doing DAC with the Prop directly for sound purpose, I'm sure any of them know better than me [noparse]:)[/noparse] I still have the "synth belch" wave somewhere.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)