Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Adolescence of P1 — Parallax Forums

The Adolescence of P1

Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
edited 2007-05-11 04:46 in Propeller 1
With large apologies to Thomas Ryan ...

I just got done proofing out a small new project that I call the P1. Its gone beyond prototyping and I have the production boards so its not outrageous to say that my P1 is in its adolescence. If you have no idea what I am talking about here you need to go back 20 years!http://forums.parallax.com/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

There was a circuit going around here for a programming interface for the Propeller, the JPEG schematic files going under various names, but it was two 2N3904's and a 2N3906 and some resistors and a cap. I must have built that circuit a dozen times in the last 7 months. I got sick of wiring it by hand so I made some on some spare real estate for an ExpressPCB proto run. I made some more and gave some away and everyone loved them. One guy noticed the similarities to the front end of a BS2 and showed me how you can use it as a level interface to a BS2 or BS2SX OEM chip.

Anyway, I bit the bullet, made some production boards and gathered up the parts ... the kit is $6, assembled and tested is $9. The pinout is the same as a Prop Plug with a fifth socket for 3.3-5volts. I add to the kit a 5 pin right angle header that can be stuffed down into a solderless breadboard and you plug into it with P1 rather than having it vertical adding all that strain on the pins.

So, if you don't need yet another USB adapter, this is quick,easy, and cheap. I have tested it against about nine different USB-to-serial adapters and they all worked fine. The Propeller Tool recognized it immediately. The only USB-to-serial adapter that may not work will be some for PDAs which don't implement DTR.

www.wulfden.org/pa/

cheers ... BBR

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
www.wulfden.org/k107/

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2007-05-11 04:46
    Brian,

Good job! The similarities to the front end of a BS2 were not by mistake... When I designed the Propeller Serial programmer I borrowed the front end circuitry of the BS2 as my reference point.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.