Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Project Assistance — Parallax Forums

Wireless Project Assistance

NoviceNovice Posts: 4
edited 2007-05-09 16:48 in General Discussion
Hi to all,
I am a newbie here.
I am performing a school based wireless project and would like assistance with the following:
1. Can someone provide the schematics and features of a RF modules Transmitter (27996) and receiver (27995).
2. Can someone provide the schematics and features of a basic stamp 2.
(These are the devices that i am provided in the lab)

3. What are the pros and cons of using the RF modules mentioned above compared to other wireless devices?
4. How much time can i use repeaters to increase the distances of the above RF modules. What are the pros and cons?
5. What wireless device would be best suited for a range of 1/2 and 1 mile distance for data acquisition in an industrial setting?
6. In ques 4 can i use a several transceivers to increase the distance using the right angle triangle concept?
7.What are the pros and cons of using the RF modules mentioned above compared to cabled systems?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Post Edited (Novice) : 5/9/2007 4:38:03 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-09 16:48
    As a general comment, you are more likely to get a response if your thread has an appropriate subject.

1) The features you can get from Parallax's webstore page for the items. Sometimes the documentation includes schematics, sometimes not.

2) The schematics and features of the BS2 are well described in the PBasic Manual which you can download from Parallax (www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/basicstamps/documentation_basic_stamp.asp).

3) What other wireless devices are you considering? The ones you mention are simple on/off wireless links. There are various kinds of modulation used with wireless links (usually in amateur radio these days ... see www.arrl.org). There are other layers of complexity put on top of the simple wireless signalling like WiFi and xBee. These add error control and networking.

4) Repeaters are difficult with this kind of wireless link in that you need different channels or a very directional antenna to prevent one side of the repeater from interfering with the other.

5) You should do a websearch first to look for wireless link vendors in this range and compare features and price. Best depends on your unstated (other than range) requirements.

6) The issue of interference also comes up here

7) What do you think?

You are going to have to do the research and thinking for your school project yourself. We may be able to point you to resources and offer suggestions and advice, but you will need to do more work. The web is your friend and you should also search the Wikipedia for basic information if you haven't done so already. It is full of summary and detail information about wireless digital communication. Use internet searches with "wiki" as a keyword (like "wiki digital repeater").