Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
8 bit R-2R resistor array — Parallax Forums

8 bit R-2R resistor array

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2007-04-26 18:28 in General Discussion
Does anyone know where to buy an 8-bit R-2R resistor array ?

I've checked jameco and digikey, but no luck.

I want to use it for audio output.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.hittconsulting.com
·

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-04-26 18:05
    Bean,

My approach would be to use six identical 4-resistor chip arrays (cheapest) or three 8-resistor arrays. You'd be looking at as little as $.07 for parts and not a lot of board real estate. Plus, you'll have the advantage of multiple-sourced components, which may not be the case for a purpose-built R-2R array.

-Phil
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-04-26 18:13
    Phil,
    Is 1% tolerance okay ? I would think an 8-bit ladder would need better than that ?
    Do you know of any arrays that are better than 1% ?
    I'm not doing high-fidelity or anything, but I'd like it to sound decent.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-04-26 18:25
    Bean,

5% would be okay if they all come from the same batch. That's the reason I suggested using all the same value, even though it entailed twice the number of components to get the "2R" values. If they all come from the same batch, they're likely to be well-matched, even though they may differ from the nominal value by 5%.

-Phil
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2007-04-26 18:27
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2007-04-26 18:28
    Bean,
    Have you tried Mouser.com? I found a number of R-2R ladder arrays in their catalog in 1 and 2% tolerances.
    That should be good enough for most audio especially at only 8-bits. Semiconwell makes a line with widths from
    4 to 24-bits. You might call them for their local distributors or ask for a few samples.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = AE5AE = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking