Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Deciding to go back to school after 12 years — Parallax Forums

Deciding to go back to school after 12 years

Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
edited 2007-04-26 16:34 in General Discussion
So i am working on my engineering Core classes but can someone share with me the difference in Job opportunities between an Electrical Engineer or an Electronics Engineer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!

Comments

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2007-04-26 01:38
    Brian-
    I'm with you in that I have about 13 years since I went to school "hard core". Recently I have been going back just taking 1 or 2 classes and those were online. From what I know, Electrical and Electronics engineers differ only in title, education wise they are very similar. Personally, I am going for a EET degree (Electronics Engineering Technology). That degree is different in that you are not required to take as much math and it is not considered (at least as far as I can tell) as hireable as a straight EE degree (this may be due to my job market).

Hopefully I helped with your question, and remember, you the man! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

My last words shall be - "NOT YET!!!"
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2007-04-26 02:06
    Hi Brian;

Principally the difference is:

Electrical Engineers deal with large currents;....... power plants, large motors, power distribution, high voltages and the like, whereas

Electronic engineers deal with small currents;...... transistors, semi conductors, contol systems, etc. With the advent of micro electronic processors, embedded software also fits into this realm.

Usually (in Canada at least), both of these are the result of a 4 year university endeavour, graduating with a B.Sc., and then a 2 year practicum and a quasi exam before you can call yourself a Professional Engineer.

A technical degree is generally issued by a junior or technical college after 2 to 3 years of study..... much less rigerous, and slanted toward the hands on, practical side. They generally become assistants, or implementers of the work/ideas created by the Electronic/Electrical engineers.

As to what is best; it depends on your ability, your regional market and your desires. Long term, the degreed Electronic enginieer will fare much better financially and promotion wise than the technical graduate.

But most importantly, go with where your passion lies. There is NOTHING better than working in your hobby, enjoying what you're doing.

.......... Just some rantings from and old EE.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-26 04:01
    Brian, you have to be careful with places that offer Electronics Engineering, some are reputible some are not. The safe route is always with Electrical Engineering, it is the classic route and most recognized by employers.

If you decide to go the Electronics Engineering route, be sure the degree ABET accredited.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-04-26 06:07
    Thanks Guys. It is with ASU in Arizona. But i do agree that the EE may be the better way to go.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-04-26 12:34
    Brian,

Having both degrees ( Technologist and EE, earned a few years apart) I can confirm that the work can be be satisfying and challenging whichever path you choose,

But, my personal experience would suggest that there are more doors to opportunity with the EE degree. To get the best out of your return to school, get in a program which will ultimately end in a PE designation.

Good luck, you won't regret it!

Tom

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-04-26 16:15
    I went to a technical college and took the Electronic Engineering Technologist program.
    Some call it a glorified technician....some a 'practical engineer'.

I've been down to the states and the "Technologist" was unknown there. You were either a Technician or an Engineer!
    I work under an Engineer....so get the best of both worlds!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2007-04-26 16:34
    I have my Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) degree from Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY. However, after originally being in the US Navy for 10 years, I got out and went back to college to get my EET. Now it has been 10 years later and I never regreted it (other than student loans). Now at the upper end of a 5 digit salary, it is a huge leap from not going back to school.

BTW: The Math was still Calc I, II, III and Differential Equations. BUT the difference was that they were "application" based and not as much "theory" based (as an EE would have).

I say go for it!