Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Source for NES connectors? — Parallax Forums

Source for NES connectors?

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2007-04-22 01:09 in Propeller 1
Does anyone happen to have a source for the NES connectors used on the Hydra? Now that I have the Hydra book I'm converting my homebrew propeller demo system to a hydra and want to try the NES joysticks. I suppose I could look for extension cables and just chop one end off but the real connectors would look nice.

Robert

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-04-17 03:12
    Yes, I'm chasing them down as well... We'll agree to post the data. (whoever find them first)

I was looking at the Hydra schematics last night, the problem being that the propeller SD/MMC projects and the NES controller on the Hydra use the several of the same pins. Perhaps some of the same logic that was employed on the Hydra VGA port could be applied here. At the very least I've ordered several 8 switch dip switches just in case.

Full speed to "Poorman's Hydra" -- Glad I decided to work my way up. The Hydra/Demo are sure nice, but I wouldn't trade everything I've learned coming up from the Protoboard.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
    edited 2007-04-17 04:42
    Spent the evening looking a various solutions to SNES adaption, it looks like one of two directions...

members.shaw.ca/cracked/circuits/nintendo.htm
    Create your own pin interface from straightened paperclips. (yuck)

or buy a SNES extension and snip the end off, check color code with a multimeter.

<Only slightly off-topic>

BTW, I was looking at my yet unmodified protoboard tonight and was thinking that instead of installing the accessory resistors in their holes, put female pins headers in those slots, create a plug-in board with the resistors required for the VGA header. This would get our "hybrid hydra" I/O pins back selectable to running in "Prop" mode or "Hydra" mode. With any luck I'll be able run Andre's new SRAM card.

(Andre, If the idea of homemade Hydra's are enough to make you chew the wood your desk is made of, let me know and I'll move to the "prop" thread with it.)

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-04-17 07:03
    I think anything gaming related is better for the hydra board.

Andre'
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-21 16:27
    If it is about saving money, it is somewhat of an illusion.

The Hydra comes complete. Mosting importantly is the inclusion of Andre's text.
    But everything is first-rate.
    The mouse is optical. The keyboard has an aluminum case, not plastic.
    The two NES ports are taken care of.
    One game controller is provided.

Buying components here and there and waiting for the next thing to be found delays the whole thing in fits and starts.
    Hacking pieces together many be pleasure for those who love to build, but many of us just don't have the resources or the skills to get it right without several attempts.

I noticed a long time ago that some people build sailboats, but never go anywhere. Others buy the boat and see the world.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-04-21 16:52
    Hello,

I do agree that the current Hydra package is the way to go for a lot of people that want to jump into the system and learn about programming with Andre's book.

For those that opted to buy Andre's book ahead of time there isn't an option to buy just the Hydra system alone without the text. I bought the book and don't mind building a compatible version from the text. I had already built a DEMO board from scratch. So far I already have everything I need lying around with the exception of the actual NES connectors. At this point I have a couple options if I want to finish it. I can either find a source the NES connectors, find a broken NES console cheap and rip out the connectors, or buy a set of extension cables and cut the end off and just use them as a pigtail to solder to the board.

My preference is to find a source for just the connectors since I would also like to use the NES joysticks (as they are easy to use and cheap) on other projects many of which are non-hydra/non-propeller related.

So at this point either a source for the connectors or a source for extension cables would be nice.

Robert
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-04-21 19:35
    The best thing to do is simply cut the end of the NES controller, but a DB9 and then put DB9's on the prototype. This is how I started as well. Also, there are NES controllers with DB9 connectors on them. Some of the NES clones use this easier to find connector, so if you're lucky you can find the controllers. But, to make things easy just cut the end and put a DB9 on there, problem solved.

Andre'
    edited 2007-04-22 01:09
    Actually, I was doing some math the other day, and I will have spent more on my poorman's setup than if I had purchased the Hydra, but for me it isn't about saving the money. I've learned/reviewed alot of electronics knowledge that I would have missed had I purchased the unit completed. Certainly I would also recommend the Hydra system to anyone who is going in that direction, but uninterested in the "process." From the reviews I've read from all the Hydra owners, it is truly "first-rate" stuff. -- Me, I love the trip... The destination is just a small bonus. [noparse]:)[/noparse] On top of which I'm considering rewarding myself with a Hydra at the end anyway. (wonder if they'll sell me one without the book? <smirk>)

Nothing better than sailing on the sailboat you built.. [noparse];)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector
    Kramer said...
    If it is about saving money, it is somewhat of an illusion.

The Hydra comes complete. Mosting importantly is the inclusion of Andre's text.
    But everything is first-rate.
    The mouse is optical. The keyboard has an aluminum case, not plastic.
    The two NES ports are taken care of.
    One game controller is provided.

Buying components here and there and waiting for the next thing to be found delays the whole thing in fits and starts.
    Hacking pieces together many be pleasure for those who love to build, but many of us just don't have the resources or the skills to get it right without several attempts.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!