Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
First Pass of a spacies game with single graphics buffer + HSS sound driver — Parallax Forums

First Pass of a spacies game with single graphics buffer + HSS sound driver

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-04-18 14:18 in Propeller 1
First pass·of my spacies clone game.
No baddy bullets yet, or bases, but it does have a single graphics buffer, to be able to use HSS.
It also has room for the SD reader, so it can be built upon.
let me know what you think, and if it's worth me finishing it off with baddy bullets etc.

Baggers.

Oh, forgot to add instructions.

I'm using ProtoBoard, with TV + Sound
Sound on pins 10-11.
TV Out to pins 12-14.
PS/2 Mouse on ProtoBoard Addon on pins·24-25.

Left Mouse button to fire.
Right Mouse button to start, when game over ( they've landed )
Mouse to move.

Enjoy.

Would also help if I add the link lol

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/Spacies.zip

Post Edited (Baggers) : 4/17/2007 11:36:46 AM GMT

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-04-17 22:07
    By all means! Add some baddie bullets, some saucers and some barricades!

Nice game... Gotta look at your code for the stars, perhaps I could steal for a galaga clone.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-04-18 01:01
    Bravo!

A very nice demo of what the propeller can do with minimal external hardware.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-04-18 02:18
    I like it! Keep working on it - and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Shane.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-18 03:24
    Golly,

I wish I hadn't fried my demo unit.

Rich
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-04-18 06:52
    Thanks for the comments [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    ok, I'll finish it off.
    oldbit, help yourself to the stars code, but bare in mind it's all destructive, IE, it just erases the old position, then writes a long in the new position.
    I shoulda made it a short and just or'd it in [noparse]:D[/noparse] but I'll fix that for the next version.
    edited 2007-04-18 06:54
    PS, thanks to all the bits of code in there from other's like the keyboard, mouse, tv, grapihcs, hss, and fwsr objects, for without these, it all would have taken a LOT longer to do smilewinkgrin.gif
    and sorry for the double post, I shoulda just edited the last postroll.gif
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-04-18 08:09
    Hi Baggers,

Nice one, keep goin' man!

Slightly off-topic, but would you mind posting details of how you put sound on the protoboard? What amp' d'you use, etc?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2007-04-18 11:55
    -simonl
    I didn't use an amp, I just use TV's phono inputs, with 220ohm and 10uf on left and right pins ( 10 and 11 )
    with not having an amp etc. I was wanting to add an amp version for when I do some VGA stuff later
    I've already changed the hires text to do 8x8 characters, that way with 1024*768 I can render 256x192 zx81 and spectrum size.
    I want to do a port of ZX81 3D Monster Maze to prop, which should be fun.

but don't worry, I'll finish spacies first.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-04-18 14:18
    SimonL said...
    Slightly off-topic, but would you mind posting details of how you put sound on the protoboard? What amp' d'you use, etc?

My setup is in this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=639435

I'm still using my un-amplified setup. Just 2 caps and 1 resistor per channel, wired to a 3.5mm stereo jack. And I plug a pair of amplified computer speakers into the jack. The Sound quality was excellent in this demo. I've never heard or seen the Hydra, but I noticed this game demo uses the "Hydra Sound System"

I'm waiting for some parts to come in for my second attempt at an amplified version. My first attempt used two LM386 amps. But I could never get it to work right. I ordered a TDA7053A stereo amp, that might be the better solution anyway, because this chip will allow you adjust the volume on both channels with a single potentiometer. And a single chip design would be preferred to a 2 chip design anyday.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe