Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help w/Wireless communication — Parallax Forums

Help w/Wireless communication

jmevansjmevans Posts: 22
edited 2007-04-16 20:09 in General Discussion
Hello all,

I am wanting to build a wireless remote control and several wireless receivers,
I want to be able to send diferent commands and have the correct device respond.
sounds simple to me, but i have not done anything like this before.
I have orderd a couple of these http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7813#
and figure that i will need one sx chip for each device.
I was wondering if any of you have or know of·any simple example codes or·other advice that could help me see
what it is that i am up against.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,942
    edited 2007-04-16 20:09
    Electrically, it should be easy -- what you'll have to do, however, is create a master/slave protocol so that everyone (receiver) who's listening knows who's talking and how to deal with the information that comes in. You could do something easy like use the Parallax AppMod protocol where your devices wait for a specific header, an address #, then a command code and associated data.

I've attached the firmware for our RC-4; it's not a wireless device but is on a mini-network where other RC-4s can be connected and listening. You can see how the code waits for the proper header, specific address, and then deals with commands. Some commands are global (all units act on them) and for those there is no response expected as -- without additional coding -- responses could collide with each other.