Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Head-mounted display — Parallax Forums

Head-mounted display

LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
edited 2007-04-14 22:34 in Propeller 1
I used to work for BAe in their Advanced Cockpit Research Group where we investigated virtual environments and head-mounted displays, amongst other things. It just struck me that·one·Propeller chip could drive two small LCDs, and a pair of stereo headphones. With some suitable optics a low-cost HMD could be made. I've just ordered a little 2.52" LCD monitor with PAL input, and I'll see what can be done with it. There will be plenty of I/O left over for things like accelerometers.

Leon
·

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-13 12:43
    We were wondering about using viewfinders used in camcorders:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=629423
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-04-13 13:38
    Graham Stabler said...
    We were wondering about using viewfinders used in camcorders:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=629423
    Could be used, but might·be difficult to get hold of and harder to interface. I'd rather use something easily available "off the shelf".

I have a Gumstix running Linux that could be used as the main computing engine for a wearable system.

Leon
    ·
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-04-13 14:00
    I have a BW viewfinder and it takes power, ground, and composite video, so there are easy to use ones. it is just a bit too bulky for this idea

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-13 14:12
    The viewfinder I have also takes raw video. I wouldn't even say it is too bulky though it would not look as cool as some head up displays.

The problem with using just a standard display is that you need optics, you can't just stick it in front of your face.

Another option are video goggles that are sold for use with video ipods, they take ntsc and pal and have two screens (or one and some mirrors I don't know). Prices are not too mad.

Graham
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-13 14:20
    Leon, Graham, CJ,

http://microvision.com/

This basically uses a single, two axis(MEMS) gimbaled mirror... and a laser, turned off and on and modulated for each pixel. The trick is to get them all working together. What I find fascinating is that the same electromechanical elements can be and are being used as both a display... and a camera.

I looked around a bit this morning and there are lots of designs for micromachined two-axis gimbaled mirrors reported or being developed.

If you guys would be willing to work on it... so would I... and I think Parallax might be able to get us some samples!!!

Rich
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-04-13 14:31
    rjo_ said...
    Leon, Graham, CJ,

http://microvision.com/

This basically uses a single, two axis(MEMS) gimbaled mirror... and a laser, turned off and on and modulated for each pixel. The trick is to get them all working together. What I find fascinating is that the same electromechanical elements can be and are being used as both a display... and a camera.

I looked around a bit this morning and there are lots of designs for micromachined two-axis gimbaled mirrors reported or being developed.

If you guys would be willing to work on it... so would I... and I think Parallax might be able to get us some samples!!!

Rich

It won't give a stereo display, which is what I want. Stereo currently requires two displays and suitable optics, although there are some interesting techniques using lasers directly into the eye onto the retina being developed.

Leon
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-13 15:10
    You could certainly use a single Propeller to produce two video streams using a text driver. For graphics, you might run out of memory for the bitmaps. It would probably be better to plan on one Propeller for each display. Using Protoboards would be cheap enough for a pair.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-14 22:06
    Mike,

If you used two... you do get stereo... but by flipping between optics... you also get a 3D scanner!!!· Right in your Propeller hat.· That's what I call wearable technology!

Mike, you have the pull... try talking Chip into asking for some engineering samples.

Please[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-14 22:34
    Unfortunately, I don't have as much pull as you might think. Complicating that is the fact that I don't have binocular vision which would make it very hard to evaluate any 3D viewer or bi-ocular head mounted display. Also, any kind of laser in or near the eyes is potentially dangerous. It's too easy to burn a hole in the retina, even with only a few milliwatts.