Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nuts and Volts mag versus Circuit Cellar OR others.... — Parallax Forums

Nuts and Volts mag versus Circuit Cellar OR others....

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2007-04-14 03:10 in General Discussion
I currently subscribe to Nuts and Volts and love most of the articles - especially the Parallax products. However, I would like to know of any other similar magazines - especially if they have Parallax product articles. I thought I heard in a post that Circuit Cellar may fit the bill but I would like to hear from others before I get a subscription. I like building projects along the difficulty level that Nuts and Volts offer but not get too complex / expensive either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2007-04-13 13:34
    Circuit Cellar is a good magizine, however it is geared toward the more advanced technician/engineer. Not to say you couldn't get alot out of the magizine, just the few I got (through my University) had some articles and projects that were pretty advanced.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

My last words shall be - "NOT YET!!!"
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2007-04-13 13:46
    Thanks Shawn for your input. I do have an Electrical Engineering degree but the majority of my design experience has been through my hobby projects·and also some at work from time to time (but not too much). That is one reason why I ask so many questions on this forum. I like to confirm my suspisions and see what the "experts" have to say. I never like to re-invent the wheel but I may find a way to make it roll smoother. I really like building other peoples design projects·and then modifying them for custom usage (whether that be software or hardware). However, must of my development on my·hobby projects·are on·solderless breadboards with some protoboard usage recently. I think I can handle most projects ranging from micro-controller based projects·to advanced LED projects. I would like to start thinking about using other micro-controllers (as long as I don't have to learn another assembly language· - basic interpreters are great) - maybe like AVR or PICs - just to see what else exists. However, I will not be abandoning the BS2 and SX processors - as they have offered so much enjoyment in the past and taken a while to learn.

Thanks!

Other comments are welcome...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-13 14:11
    Personally I think the Circuit Cellar is not too difficult and may inspire some of us to be better informed. The bigger dilemma is that the projects may cost you more to get involved.

In fact, both magazines are somewhat multileveled. But the Circuit Cellar is never going get down to the rank beginner [noparse][[/noparse]which Nuts & Volts does.]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-04-13 14:37
    There are so few electronics magazines in the U.S. that I figure I might as well subscribe to all of them.

If anybody knows of any others besides N&V, Servo, and Circuit Cellar, please post them here so I can subscribe.

Value per dollar spent·is very good for most magazines if you subscribe instead of purchasing retail.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2007-04-13 18:55
    T&E-
    Well then, Circuit Cellar will be great. I didn't mean to imply anything about your skill level or anyone elses(if anyone took it that way), I just know there are alot of newbies on this forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

My last words shall be - "NOT YET!!!"
    edited 2007-04-13 18:58
    No problem. I just wanted to let you and other's know that I am not a newbie on these projects.

Hey I really appreciate you guys help in this. I wish they had a free sample issue like N&V has. I will look at their website some more but I think I am leaning towards gaining a subscription.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-04-13 20:01
    T & E Engineer -

If you're speaking of getting a free sample of Circuit Cellar, the best thing to do is just ask. Most reputable magazine publishers have overruns which they give away at trade shows and places like that. I can almost guarantee it won't be the current issue however, but that's not really the point of it.

The same goes for free samples from chip manufacturers. Some have a structured process for offering free samples, and other take a less formal approach. In the end it never hurts to ask - all they can say is sorry, no can do smile.gif

Just a hint. Ask for them in the "name" of T & E Engineering.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2007-04-13 22:09
    Hi All;

Who needs free magazine samples?? ..... just go buy a copy, or browse it at the news stand to see if you like it! It IS affordable you know!

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-04-13 23:11
    Another option for reading material are trade magazines. These are typically industry focused, and can often be received for free if you are in some way working in that particualr industry.

Here is a sample page: www.tradepub.com/?pt=cat&page=Eng

Also, the ARRL has a couple of magazines for those interested in radio electronics: QST & QEX.

QST is more geared towards amateur radio in general, so it will have a lot of info targeted at different segments of the hobby. It does, however, always include some form of technical article(s) in every issue. It can only be received as a membership benefit of joining the ARRL, but the cost for that is ~$35USD annually. If you are into radio, it's a good deal.

QEX, on the other hand, is focused on technical projects and experimentation. It's published bimonthly, and can be subscribed to by non-members, albeit at a higher cost.

Sample articles for both magazines can be found on the ARRL site:

QST - www.arrl.org/qst/, www.arrl.org/qst/past.php
    QEX - www.arrl.org/qex/
    edited 2007-04-13 23:13
    I currently live in a very rural area of Kentucky due to a job transfer close to a year ago. Finding even a Best Buy or Circuit City is a hour and a half drive away to Lexington. So news stands are not available here nor have I ever seen Nuts and Volts or Circuit Cellar in any newstand before even when I lived in Baltimore, MD and Long Island, NY.

I just don't want to spend a years subscription on something that may be either too advanced for me or too expensive to build projects as Shawn and Kramer·mentioned earlier.

However, I will give them a call on Monday and see if I can get a free sample issue sent to me to "evaluate" (as I am a Test and "Evaluation" (no pun intended)·Engineering contractor for FEMA).

Bruce - I have latched on to the Free Sample idea for chips over the last few months too. Good idea for developing.

Thanks to everyone.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-04-14 03:10
    You won't be in over your head with Circuit Cellar.

Also, definitely look into the trade magazines, especially if you are working for FEMA. They are very good for keeping tabs on industry trends & developments, and as I said, many are free.

Those that I've received in the past were excellent resources.