Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for pin headers and various supplies to work with Parallax Protoboards — Parallax Forums

Looking for pin headers and various supplies to work with Parallax Protoboards

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2007-04-13 01:01 in General Discussion
Does anyone know exactly what the size (0.1 ?)·and names are for what I believe could be pin headers? I am wanting to work more with my SX protoboards but would like something like what comes with the Propstick for plugging it into the PCB. Also what are the male pins called for something like the 3 wire serial LCD cables. The pins that go into a solderless breadboard and also fit over a serial LCD cable (3 wire). I'm not sure what this stuff's exact names are but want to know where I can buy it (e.g. Jameco prefered) but what to make sure I order the right stuff. Also including hook up wire (24 AWG good for the protoboards or something smaller). I have been just cuting down ribbon cable from an IDE cable but probably should use something more professional looking. Is there anything such as a sample connection kit for the SX protoboards? That would be ideal but I did not see anything on the Parallax web site.

Comments

• Ray HillRay Hill Posts: 10
    edited 2007-04-10 15:51
    T&E Engineer,

You might try mouser.com. They have a broad product line, a very good online catalog with pictures and descriptions.

If you try mouser, try a search on their product code 571-11032390, see if that gets you in the right neighborhood.

Ray
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-04-10 17:49
    It sounds like you're describing 0.1 inch female headers and the parts that plug into them are just 0.1 inch headers. The later ship in various lengths, and the headers I normally use are 0.3 to 0.4 inch long.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-04-11 01:56
    Is this something like you had in mind? One end is male pins and plugs into the SX-Key, the other end is female and fits over the pins on the PDB. If so, these are Molex SL connectors.

thumb.aspx?a=6376
    thumb.aspx?a=6375

You buy the male and female pins separately (use whichever suits your needs), the male pins will plug directly into breadboards and the female pins fit on to standard size pin headers. The black plastic housings come in many sizes and styles, both single and dual row and the openings are on .01 inch spacing. Solder or crimp your wires to the pins and then just push the pins into the housing until they snap in place.

These are on page 1173 in the current Mouser catalog (you can download single page pdfs from the web site).

You might also check into the Molex KK series of connectors, they pretty much work the same way, just a slightly different style.

AMP/Tycho make similar products that I'm sure are just as good and I think both brands are also available at Digi-Key and other suppliers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2007-04-11 02:16
    All of these are great ideas and I very much appreciate the research work!

I will look at the mouser site tomorrow and I love the molex connectors too.

Thanks again.
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-04-13 01:01
    If you're looking for female headers (like the ones adjacent to the prototyping areas on on the BOE and PDB), SparkFun sells female and male headers in 40 pin single row strips that they term "break-away" (you can break them into the lengths that you need). Link to connectors page: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=53_91 I've used them extensively on my Propeller boards and they've worked very well.

Thanks RDL2004 for the info on the PERFECT Molex connector (SL) I've been looking for (there's just so many types out there that it's hard to know exactly what to ask for until you see a picture like you sent (you should be doing catalog photos).

Thanks, Steve

Post Edited (Duffer) : 4/13/2007 1:15:12 AM GMT
    800 x 600 - 73K
    800 x 600 - 72K