Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does anybody have any suggestions for the "SX Best Threads Index"?? — Parallax Forums

Does anybody have any suggestions for the "SX Best Threads Index"??

Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
edited 2007-04-09 08:36 in General Discussion
If you haven't already seen it, I have been building it in the test forums

Bill

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 4/6/2007 5:46:17 AM GMT

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-06 15:54
    The problem with making such a suggestion is that the search engine seems to have never gotten up to snuff.

From what I understand, it is better to use Google to search for particular Parallax topics [noparse][[/noparse] I guess Parallax is one of the key word requirements ].

I do understand. Threads grow and grow; so the search gets larger and larger. Meanwhile the server has limits of capacity and bandwidth. If everyone is always using the search function; the hardware support becomes huge or the whole Forum bogs down.

In other words; do you want to exchange ideas or read oldies? Seems that it is hard to have both. If would be nice to off load the Search function [noparse][[/noparse]maybe to some one like Google] but then Parallax would have to allow other advertisers to exploit their knowledge. Still, that may be a two-way street and bring more customers to all.

There is the SXlist forum.· They might consider reviewing their presentation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • T'SaavikT'Saavik Posts: 60
    edited 2007-04-06 17:46
    When i find something good i subscribe to the thread to keep track of it.
    You have almost all the threads i subscribe to, minus these 2.

Setting Multiple Breakpoints: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=7&m=115092
    DCD and NCD functions: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=7&m=181771
  • IbsenIbsen Posts: 68
    edited 2007-04-06 19:17
    The best thing would be to have would be some sort of conclusion to a tread topic when possible!
    It is some times almost impossible for a newbie to read a long tread and conclude what the right answer or solution is ?
    ·
    I don’t know how this would be done, just that it would be nice to have…

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

*.*

Ibsen

" It's nice to be important, but
    ·· more important to be nice... "
  • Sparks-R-FunSparks-R-Fun Posts: 388
    edited 2007-04-06 19:29
    Capt. Quirk,

First I want to say thanks for posting that list. It took me several minutes just to read through all the listings. Searching has its place, but you can not search for concepts that have never even entered your mind! A listing provides the chance to explore some new concepts. I think the list will be a very big help, especially as it is kept up to date.

I do not have any new threads to add right now. However, as I am currently pondering the concurrent processing of several different tasks I wanted to recommend the possibility of listing some entries multiple times.

For example, it seems to me that the following threads could/should also be listed under the Interrupts heading.

Projects
    PJV_Multi Threaded SX-B

PWM
    PWM thru an Interrupt

SASM programming help
    Excellent example of how to use a simple (non-preemptive) RTOS

As I said, my mind is thinking about interrupts and concurrent processing. That is why these jumped out to me as possibly being worthy of multiple listings. If you think not, that is fine. It is just my meager suggestion.

Again thanks for creating the list. I think it will benefit many.

Thanks so much.

- Sparks
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-04-06 22:02
    T'Saavik,

Both are good, I have been following your Stamp Works experiments. I have been looking for anything that makes it easier to transition from Pbasic to SX/B, that's why or FreqOut post is there. There is also another example of the "BREAK_NOW" in·Jon Williams·"Sweet 16" (NV #137 under Func.sxb). But I will be sure to put·your example in clear sight.

Ibsen,

I tried to do that. But then I found that many of the best points, were made in the middle of the post. Most of the posts have contributing comments from this forums most prolific authors and at some point, their post may have ended the thread. But usually after a point has been made, then the thread starts wandering in different directions. Usually these authors came back with such good responses that it inspired new thoughts and so on.

Sparks-R-Fun,

Originally I tried to do that, but there was so much good material out there that the list would be easily twice as long and I have worried about it getting too long. There are a few double entries, but not many. Either way It is still very much a work in progress and if it turns out that multiple listings would make it easier to find topics of interest, it's not difficult to change.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-09 08:36
    Actually, this is quite useful. Since the Search function doesn't seem to completely do the job; your work is very important.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan