Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recommendation for Book on Electronics — Parallax Forums

Recommendation for Book on Electronics

JohnBFJohnBF Posts: 107
edited 2007-04-03 18:28 in General Discussion
I'd like to get a book which is a good solid introduction to the whole field of electronics. I've seen some recommendations posted recently in Parallax forums, but I can't find them. Any recommendations?

/John

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-04-03 17:47
    The Art of electronics is very good. I read a section before going to sleep most every night.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2007-04-03 17:57
    Hands down probably THE best book on electronics would be "The Art of Electronics". A little dated but
    I've heard tell that a new edition is in the works. Still, it'll take you from basic current flow to digital
    electronics and microprocessors.

Another book, not as expensive nor as extensive, would be the ARRL Handbook (available from arrl.org
    and the larger book stores) although this is geared more towards the radio and RF aspects, naturally.
    ARRL = American Radio Relay League, one of the largest amateur radio organizations in the US.

-Rusty-

(from NerdBooks.com in Richardson, TX)

The Art of Electronics, 2nd Edition
    by Horowitz, Paul / Hill, Windfield

Cover Price: $95.00
    Online Price: $65.55
    You save $29.45 (31%)

ISBN-10: 0521370957
    ISBN-13: 9780521370950
    Publisher: Cambridge University Press
    Published July 1989; Hardcover; 1125 pages

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = AE5AE = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
  • Nick WaldvogelNick Waldvogel Posts: 71
    edited 2007-04-03 18:01
    Yes, I would also suggest "The Art of Electronics" also.· Sometimes it's a little over my head but I usually pick it up.· I'm on chapter 3....

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/17/2007 8:19:18 PM GMT
  • JohnBFJohnBF Posts: 107
    edited 2007-04-03 18:28
    Thanks, all. The Art of Electronics it is. I thought I would re-read the book I originally learned from but have long since forgotten most of what I learned: The Radio Amateur's Handbook published by the ARRL, 44th edition, 1967, $4.00. I suppose there have been a few advances in electronics since 1967, and anyway, somehow the typeface has gotten too small for me to read.

/John