Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bought PDB! So excited, what should i do first? — Parallax Forums

Bought PDB! So excited, what should i do first?

T'SaavikT'Saavik Posts: 60
edited 2007-03-23 18:14 in General Discussion
Up tell now i've been using a "fluffy" programmer and a bunch of SMD sx28s on boards to play around with. I've been using the parallax IDE to write programs and sxsim to debug them, then exporting it to icprog to burn. Trying to troubleshoot without any debugger was driving me nuts, i have LEDs everywhere, lol. Then i realized if i HAD the debugger i could hook my USB oscilloscope and SX up to my computer and remote (VNC or terminal services) into my computer from work during my down time and play!

The PDB has SO many toys on it i just couldn't resist! What project should i do first??

Comments

• T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2007-03-23 16:15
    If you have a BASIC STAMP 2 series I·would look at the Stampworks experiments. You can download the manual and files:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27220

If you have an SX Key, and some SX-28's then the world is open to you. You may also want to get a Parallax LCD (Serial is better 4x20) but the PDB supports the Parallel (2x16) version too.

I very rarely use my Board of Education since I have my PDB for both SX-28 and BS2 projects.

Have fun.
  • T'SaavikT'Saavik Posts: 60
    edited 2007-03-23 17:22
    Oh sorry, i got the SX Tech Tool Kit PRO, forgot the PDB sells separate as well [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    Comes with 2 SX28s, resonators, sxkey and Gunther's book on paper!

I dunno HOW i missed that stampworks book. Looks like loads of fun. Do you think i should run through it with a SX chip? Or will this just confuse me more then its worth? Would it be better to just get a basicstamp to do those experiments?

I do have an old 4x20 from matrix orbital (circa '99) lying around unused. It supports rs232, but it also does i2c! Maybe that should be my first PDB project, hook the LCD to the RJ11 jack [noparse]:D[/noparse] Afterwards i can go after that realtime clock thats down there in the corner eyeing me. I see you RT clock!! shocked.gif

Post Edited (tsaavik) : 3/23/2007 5:33:26 PM GMT
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2007-03-23 17:36
    I'd probably get a BasicStamp to do the StampWorks projects. Trying to rethink everything to run on the SX will probably slow the process down too much and make it not fun. Of course, doing the projects with an SX after you've done them with a Stamp would probably be fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,959
    edited 2007-03-23 18:14
    I like StampWorks, too (wink), and it's a really good exercise to get a project working on the BASIC Stamp and then move the connections and port the code to the SX -- I've done this on several occasions as I was learning the SX and discovering the tricks and traps of SX/B.