Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is the best way to debug the prop? — Parallax Forums

What is the best way to debug the prop?

jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
edited 2007-03-18 00:35 in Propeller 1
I am looking for a way so i can see the changes to the variables i made to see if it is working, what is the best way to do that. I noticed a bs2 function library where i could do the debug function but does that bring up a terminal where i can see the changes to the varibles i made, it there a simple way to send variables back to my laptop over the usb on the proto board. what programs do i need to be able to view those variables.

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-03-17 21:11
    An example I'm using. I use TV_text and a 5" monitor; provides like 13 lines of 40 char.

I use a 'update' routine to display register/variable names and values. It consists of one routine to post the register/variable names, and another to pick up and display the values after the name (using a space or '.' to visually separate one from the other; part of the name.).

Works for me. It is my debugging 'device'; 3-4 resistors for the TV output and uses one cog for the TV_text object. VGA requires a few more resistors, and maybe another cog.

Probably many ways to implement 'seeing' the variables.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
    edited 2007-03-17 21:15
    I program my prop and i am trying to use the simple serial and tera term, but it is not working, I don't know what i am doing wrong it looks like it doesn't send anything
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-17 21:26
    You will have to post your program and some kind of schematic or description of how things are connected. There are all sorts of ways to debug that do work including Simple_Serial over USB to a laptop.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-03-17 21:26
    Sounds like time to hook up a 'scope and view the signalling where expected.

Myself, I've been using FullDuplexSerial on the 2-Prop design. One to communicate with an existing pcb and another for Prop-to-Prop comm. Running at 38400 baud is fast enough for this application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
    edited 2007-03-18 00:23
    I got it working now with simple serial and tera term it works great.
  • Damien AllenDamien Allen Posts: 103
    edited 2007-03-18 00:31
    I use the gear emulator by asterick. That way i can play anywhere while on my laptop without any hardware connected
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-03-18 00:35
    I use FullDuplexSerial with the Basic Stamp Debug Terminal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life