Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Screw Shaft — Parallax Forums

Screw Shaft

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-02-28 18:49 in General Discussion
Anyone know where I might be able to purchase a shaft with a coarse screw thread. Somewhat like what a C clamp would have. Perhaps a length of a foot to a foot and a half long.

I've done searches on ebay with no luck. Perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms. Would there be a better name for it?

Thanks in advance

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2007-02-27 16:05
    I think one of the terms you are looking for is commonly refereed to as "All-Thread"

I've seen 1/10th of an inch pitch All-Thread rods, but it sounds like you are looking for something closer to 1/5th inch pitch or something.

Here is a Google link: "All-Thread" Rod ...

www.portlandbolt.com/products/rods/allthread_rod.html

...There are several others you will just need to comb through.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-02-27 17:00
    Brian -

Yoou are probably looking for what's called "threaded rod" or "Acme screw thread". The latter is used for linear actuators.

If you give us a bot more information about the application perhaps we can recommend a source.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2007-02-27 17:12
    Hi All;

Tons of stuff like this at www.mcmaster.com

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2007-02-27 17:21
    Brian--

What pjv said: McMaster-Carr.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 841
    edited 2007-02-27 17:34
    Brian
    acme thread ,

www.mscdirect.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

·"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ·· Albert Einstein
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-27 18:17
    Small Parts, Inc., carries high-helixleadscrews and anti-backlash nuts for them.

-Phil
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-27 19:41
    Thank you all!

McMaster has exactly what I'm looking for. the "Acme Threaded rod"

as the description says - "...Converts rotary motion into smooth, precise linear motion."

I want to connect the shaft of a stepper motor to this to form a simple CNC type machine.

I'll check out of of those other websites also to find the best price, but McMaster looks reasonable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-02-27 19:53
    I use the McMasters acme screws on CNC machines and they are great. Choose the screw based on speed and torque req'd. For CNC use you can get away with acme 1/2" 8 turn 2 start threads, good speed and good accuracy using micro stepping.

There is a guy that makes Delrin acme couplers and anti backlash nuts as well, he has even built custom acme nuts and couplers:

www.dumpstercnc.com/
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-27 21:08
    Brian,

One very important consideration when designing a CNC machine is backlash. Make sure that the leadscrew and nut combination has some way to take up (i.e. minimize) the backlash, yet remain stiff enough for the type of CNC work you're doing. Some spring-loaded leadscrew nuts will eliminate backlash for light-duty apps, such as moving printheads, but won't be stiff enough for machining. Ballscrews are the best, but they're quite expensive.

-Phil
  • dbc1218dbc1218 Posts: 33
    edited 2007-02-27 21:20
    If your looking for a more complete solution try www.allelectronics.com. They have what they call a linear positioner, its on their main page and I think listed under New Items. Its got the leadscrew, linearguide, and stepper all as one unit for $85.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-28 18:49
    Thank you again, I received quite a bit a valuable feedback from that simple question, both for the current project at hand, as well as future projects.

I've bookmarked them, there was all sorts of goodies at all of those sites! I saw solutions to problems that I don't even have yet! turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade