Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Building SPIN Language Editor — Parallax Forums

Building SPIN Language Editor

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2007-02-20 12:59 in Propeller 1
A long time ago, Parallax published the language specification for BASIC Stamp that included specs, tokens, etc.

1. Is there a similar plan in the pike for Propeller SPIN?
2. Is the SPIN compiler shareable, launchable, reusable if #1 is true.

I would like to see the possibility of making a Visual Studio Language Package (via VSIP) based editor for SPIN.

thanks

·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-04-07 16:39
    No plans, they feel releasing the bytecode would open a can of worms from a support perspective that they don't want to deal with. I dont fully understand your second question.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    6+6=10 (Long live the duodecimal system)
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-07 16:49
    1. We never released a document on PBASIC tokens -- there was a 3rd party book, but we neither contributed to or endorsed it.
    2. We will ultimately release command-line compilers for WinXP, Mac, and Linux, just as we've done with the BASIC Stamp tokenizer. This will allow you to create 3rd party development tools as you desire.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-07 17:19
    Paul, Jon - thanks.

I thought the content here was Parallax's - I must be wrong
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/tokenizer/tokenizer.asp
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-04-07 17:37
    That IS parallax's stuff, but...

No place in the docs for the tokenizer will you find a list of the tokens.
    In addition, the PBASIC interpreter on the Stamp is protected and can't be easily read out, so you can't reverse engineer it.

The Propeller and Spin, though...
    The Spin Interpreter can be read out by any program running on the Propeller, but you'd still have to figure out how the Spin source matches up to the tokens and that's not a trivial task.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-04-07 17:39
    ah - yes that is true. thanks for clarifying.
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-19 01:48
    Almost year has past since this post "2. We will ultimately release command-line compilers for WinXP, Mac, and Linux, just as we've done with the BASIC Stamp tokenizer. This will allow you to create 3rd party development tools as you desire. ", we have a python dl. any new news on the horizon?
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-19 03:35
    I have a command-line Spin compiler underway called SpinC. It's not ready to release yet but I think within a month or two I
    should be done. It's already on sourceforge (the project registration anyway, not the compiler). I'm hoping someone can
    help me integrate it with Eclipse once the compiler is finished.
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-19 03:51
    Yea, I picked through·the loader.spin, and managed to get the version from linux.. but the rest is tough.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-02-19 10:33
    hey rockicki, sounds interesting. Will that load the PChip from the command line too?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-19 17:05
    I'm sure I'll add in loading functionality, so yes. Like I say though it's probably a month away.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-02-20 12:59
    Heck, we've waited this long for Parallax, so another month or two won't hurt - cheers rokicki (won't hold you to the month tho!).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)