Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEW LUXEON III Acoustic Light — Parallax Forums

NEW LUXEON III Acoustic Light

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2007-02-17 19:44 in General Discussion
Well, I finally finished the research necessary to start building LUXEON III Acoustic Lights.

This is a picture of the old 1 watt LUXEON I and the new 3 watt LUXEON III

Wait till you see the Red/Orange its a full 190 Lumens, for times the 1 watt red. I am testing 8 colors with a basic stamp driving the fets in a chasing pattern simulating drum hits. They are in an acrylic greenhouse 100 feet from my house and it looks like lively party going on as the entire 32' x 32' section of the acrylic roof lights up. These things are very bright. I may have to build a dimmer. The circuit I have can be run on lower voltage to get a dimmer light output. I tested the transformer on a dimmer circuit so I think a dimmer plug used by typical par can lights would work fine. Now I have to buy one of those...

I would like to know if Tonythepony has any comments on the new light intensity.

Comments welcome from all.

www.metron9.com/LUXEONIII.html

There is always the 5 watt for the next product cycle.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
Think outside the BOX!

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-02-17 04:14
    Radical difference, very cool stuff. I am curious how you are switching them, mosfets? If so, I'm not sure if you use the Propeller yet, but you may be able to use PWM as the trigger source, then use ADC's to check the hit intensity and vary the light output based on the hit, as well as set fixed values without a dimmer. You may already be masking the adjacent drums below a threshold to remove bleed?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-02-17 14:20
    metron9 said...
    I would like to know if Tonythepony has any comments on the new light intensity.
    Now -- why go there, man?·
    When Tonythepony posted his peer comments, everybody ragged about how he was undermining your self-esteem with his negativity and that rot.· You've thrown down the gauntlet and if he picks it up, I expect that all the·Mary Sunshines·on the side-lines will leave you two to it.·

You're instigating.
    What's the point?

Update -- If you wanted to post about LuxeonIIIs, who should care?· But that you're promoting your "product" here AND talking smack just isn't court.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 2/17/2007 2:26:50 PM GMT
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-02-17 19:44
    I understand from the context your concern PJ and I would like to take this opportunity to clear the decks as it is said.

I remember one of my arch enemy's in high school for a long time he picked on me, we had an after school brawl where I ended up with a bloody nose but after that we became friends. I am not looking for a brawl as I believe that is over and the next step of civility will eventually take place.

Forums are places where a persons personality in the written word sometimes bodes ill of their true nature, (I really am a nice guy, and I imagine Tony is too). I don't hold grudges as I believe every day is a new beginning, out with the old and in with the new leave the bad feelings aside and think positive.

I appreciate the Sunshines as you call it but Tony did make a valid point as I said earlier in that thread, the lights were not that bright compared with the Drumlights product, if people want bright, we can do that. If Tony is using Drumlights now and doesn't think the acoustic lights are very bright then he is a perfect candidate to actually test my lights and offer his opinion.

I just got back from Target, they have 3Watt LUXEON flashlights for $29.99 The 3Watt replacement bulb for a standard 3Dcell flashlight is 19.99.
    Just pointing that out as price point information. I would think with the quantity production of those two items that they could have that price down to 1/3 of that.

Maby I should make flashlights.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!