Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
just a comment on the prop demo board directed toward parallax. — Parallax Forums

just a comment on the prop demo board directed toward parallax.

boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
edited 2007-02-16 19:24 in Propeller 1
I got a prop demo board (good job parallax!!) and one day when i went to plug in the USB cord to the USB jack popped off luckily i was able to solder it back on I just thought that I would bring this to parallaxes attention.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)

Post Edited (boeboy) : 2/16/2007 2:20:17 PM GMT

Comments

• Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2007-02-14 16:05
    I made a small 2" cable extention to ack as a strain releaver. I also noticed that the insertion force required to plug in a Prop. Plug was pretty high. I was afraid of breaking mine to.

Jim
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-02-14 18:31
    Thanks, what I just did is to put a dab of solder on all 4 of the tabs so that they are secured more firmly but you have to make certain that you don't short out the LEDs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • RetrobitsRetrobits Posts: 46
    edited 2007-02-14 22:36
    I actually get concerned about the keyboard and mouse connectors too - the insertion force required is pretty high.· I·brace the connector itself with my fingers when plugging in, but still I feel a little "wiggle" of the connector.· I'm hoping that it's the external housing on the connector that is wiggling, and not the solder joints smile.gif

Usually I try to leave everything plugged in as much as I can, for exactly this reason...

- Earl
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-14 22:47
    Boeboy, sorry that happened to you, glad to see you we able to quickly fix it. The PS/2 connectors are less susceptable removal from the board since they are through hole and have a substantial mechanical post. Though it doesn't hurt to firmly grasp the board and PS/2 socket when removing the cable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-02-16 14:23
    I am not concerned about the PS\2 connectors I just posted this so that every one would know how to keep the USB plug from popping out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2007-02-16 19:24
    One thing that concerns me about the Prop Plug is it's not encased in plastic like the SX Key is. Thats one of the first things I'm doing. I'm afraid of it shorting out while connected to by USB or Prop board.

Question for Parallax... I use a product called ShapeLock that is a low melting point plastic (Melts @ ~150F). Would it be ok, to encase the Prop Plug in this? I haven't notced it getting warm while connected or programming.

Thanks,

Jim

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE

Post Edited (Jim Fouch) : 2/17/2007 3:35:13 AM GMT