Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sun SPOT — Parallax Forums

Sun SPOT

The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
edited 2007-02-14 17:17 in General Discussion
I want one, they look so CCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.giffreaked.gif

http://www.sunspotworld.com/products/

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-02-14 05:01
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK you can have one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-14 14:19
    I want one too, but not for $550 (and that's the introductory price).
    They call that affordable ???

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-02-14 14:26
    What is the big deal?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-14 14:43
    Actually, at $550, that isn't all that bad.

(Late Night/Early TV voice On[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    You get two (not one, but tow) SunSpot devices, the docking statation AND development Tools!

Each SunSPOT has not only the processor board, but also the sensor board, including accelerometer, temp and light sensors, as well as general i/o and 4 "high current" outputs.

Also built in is 802.15.4 (is this ZigBee?)

Mind you, I'll still take a Propeller, but not bad, and gets you a lot without having to mess with that pesky electronic circuitry stuff. Not much good for a servo style robot, but for a lot of other "hobby" applications, it might be a slick little deal for those looking for something "pre-packaged"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2007-02-14 14:57
    I would bet that, either it does not see the light eventually or it will be forgotten a few months after its release.
    I wonder if Sun has performed market studies before investing in a thing like that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-02-14 16:47
    I think what Sun is really promoting here is the use of the Squawk Java VM for embedded development. To increase the user base, it helps to have a suitable hardware device to develop on. It does seem overpriced by about $400.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-14 17:17
    [noparse][[/noparse]edit] It occurs to me that as this is the PARALLAX forums, this may not be an appropriate discussion, feel free to delete if it is not appropriate.

As a possible tackt to bring it back on track, besides my brief "off hand" list in the first paragraph below, what would it take to put something like this together?

[noparse][[/noparse]/edit]

For the casual enthusiast, I don't think it's as overpriced as you think. Take two javelins, 3 ZigBees (one for each unit, and one for the base), a pair of accelerometers, a pair of temp and light sensors, some power transistors for the high current outputs, possibly a third javelin for the base, add the cases...

And by "casual enthusiast", I mean someone who wants to try some programming, and controlling something (like the R/C car pictured), but doesn't want to get "involved" with electronics, I could see this being a viable product.

There are an awful lot of people out there that can (or think they can) program in Java, but don't have a clue about hardware, nor do they want to. They just want to make their car chase the family cat/dog/kids.

For an industrial application, either as a development test bed for a "commercial quantity application" or "one off", this would be a minimal investment.

By providing two units, they set the "starter kit" up for something like a Sumobot competition, or a family version of the DARPA challenge.

Given the number of posts we get here asking about how to do wireless in various forms, that alone might make this a viable choice for some. If (and I say _IF_) this takes off, it will be interesting to see where it leads. Personally, I'm not a fan of Java. On the other hand, if this does take off with the "main stream" as something that can be grabbed off the shelf, and used by "mere mortals", besides the potential changes to the hobby market (and proving to the industrial market that it is a viable platform), is it another small thorn in Microsoft's side, and another "ding" to the Windows dynasty?

How does this fit in with/against the Robotics Studio?

If it takes off, will folks like our great friends at Parallax need to respond with similar "packages"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly jumping at the chance to have them notify me when it becomes available, but I find the concept intriguing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log

Post Edited (John R.) : 2/14/2007 5:25:16 PM GMT