Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
One-way potentiometer — Parallax Forums

One-way potentiometer

LightfootLightfoot Posts: 228
edited 2007-02-13 07:20 in General Discussion
Where can I find potentiometers that start at zero resistance and increase all the way to its value in one direction.· For example a normal 100K pot will be zero resistance in the center and be 100K fully·counterclockwise and the same clockwise.· For me, just one way.· Where·is·a mouser part number for a·one that is·5K?

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-02-12 10:50
    A normal potentiometer starts at zero ohms resistance and increases to it's full value in one direction. You just need to connect the wiper (center lead) and one of the outside leads. Leave the third lead disconnected.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-12 12:22
    Lightfoot,
    I don't know of ANY pot that is zero ohms when centered ?
    I think you just want a normal everyday pot.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-02-13 06:17
    For pots, you need to consider if you want a linear or log pot. For audio in volume control example, you would use a log pot. You would use a linear pot if you want 0 at one end, 50 in the middle and 100 at the other end.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-13 06:50
    Bean,
    You could combine an ordinary pot in series with a tunnel diode (remember those?). The resistances would add so you'd have positive resistance at one end, zero in the middle, and negative resistance at the other. How about that?
    Mike

(Sorry I couldn't resist. originator, look up tunnel diodes and negative resistance on the Wikipedia. I'm sure you'll find some information. It's not what you might think.)
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-02-13 07:20
    I can imagine there are circuits to solve what he wanted to do, but I wasn't really clear as to what he was after. Interesting info though, will check it out.