Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Price Reduction — Parallax Forums

SX Price Reduction

pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
edited 2007-02-11 23:29 in General Discussion
Hi All;

Nice to see Parallax passing on to its users savings they are realizing in their volume ordering!

Over 600,000 pieces in stock..... thats a bunch! And now all at the same price regardless of style...... I like it.

One question to Parallax; can a quantity order now be of mixed types ?

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
·

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-02-07 06:39
    And I was worrying about shortages.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-02-07 07:42
    Very, very cool.

The only unfortunate thing is that the SX48 is only available in that teeny TQFP package; and while I'm about to try some surface mounted parts, I don't see how I could possibly "bake" those chips with any accuracy and success onto PCB's [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
    edited 2007-02-07 10:48
    I have now sucessfully drag soldered 3 SX48... to me the hardest part is getting the component into place and holding it still. I took a Q-Tip (Cotton Swab) put some flux on it, and lifted the chip that way, once in place I held it there with the Swab.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-02-07 16:32
    Hey, this is great news! The timing is perfect. I expect to have the PCB's in shortly for the SX48 40-pin module kit mentioned in another thread. It will make that kit a little less now....

Actually, once you get used to the surface mount chips they aren't that bad! I have another way of soldering that cpu chip. First, set it in place as close as you can. Then, get the tip of the soldering iron tinned with a little extra tiny blob of solder on the end. Then, with a pair of tweezers, line up and hold the chip in place, While holding it, touch the iron (with solder blob) to one of the corner pins to tack it in place (don't worry about bridges). Check the alignment with a magnifier. If it needs some adjustment, use the tweezers again and just warn up the solder to re-position. Repeat until all the pins line up. Once that is done, tack down the opposite corner and once more verify the alignment. Getting these first two pins tacked down and the alignment is the worst part but doesn't take too long.

After that you can run a bead of solder down each side (letting it cool before doing the next). Once done go over each side with solder wick to remove any bridges. I usually lay one a fresh piece and let it wick up. Some people drag it along but you need to be extremely careful since you may catch a pin and bend it.

Or, after tacking the CPU in place I've also had good results by putting a drop of liquid solder flux on each side and then brushing against the lead and pad with a tinned iron.

I truly hope that this kit works out and it gets people to try out the surface mount parts and work with these chips.

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-02-07 16:39
    Peter,

Sure, we can do that. The on-line system won't compute it properly, though, so please contact me or Jim Carey when you're ready to place an order and we'll mix and match as you desire.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • thoseythosey Posts: 7
    edited 2007-02-07 22:37
    Wow, I think I need to pick some up. And I was looking at a new project and thinking SX or PIC. I would love to use the 48 but am afraid of the surface mount. I wish they had the Con Carne or what ever it was called again. It had the sx48 attatched to a dip board like the BS2.
  • JDOhioJDOhio Posts: 72
    edited 2007-02-08 02:10
    I have been using some of the products from Schmartboard to prototype projects that use SMT parts. The largest I mounted was a 32 pin TQFP. I have also mounted SOT23 ICs.

Joe
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-02-08 03:08
    and to think i ordered 30 sx28's 2 days before at the higher price. it was a good deal at the o;d price too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • ElectronegativityElectronegativity Posts: 311
    edited 2007-02-08 23:21
    I would recommend the Xytronics Mini Wave tips for soldering surface mount components.
    www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/tips.html

I'm using the one with the 2 mm barrel now and it has made a tremendous difference compared to using a traditional wedge.
    I tack a corner then line the pins up with my tweezers
    www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=44525virtualkey59620000virtualkey596-44525

This type of iron is very good at holding a tiny blob of solder and I just push it straight towards the pins and solder 2 at a time.
    If you glob too much on you can pull it back with the iron or use de-soldering braid.

I managed to solder a tiny .5 mm pitch FPC connector this way, and several SX20s and SX28s.

Of course there is alwaxs the SX48 proto board if your project is not too small.
    www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45300

Good Luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wonder if this wire is hot...
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-02-11 23:29
    I just ordered a bunch.· They're all (SX20, -28, -48) priced the same.·

It's sheer madness, I say.· smile.gif