Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can 2 sx share one oscillator source? — Parallax Forums

can 2 sx share one oscillator source?

KelvinLKelvinL Posts: 15
edited 2007-02-09 22:35 in General Discussion
hi there,
I would like build a "servo motor brain" with 2 sx chips, which can offline the load form a main controller sx chip.
I have a odd thinking ,"could them share the same oscillator source?" and·"share same programming pin?" . I know this could be stupid, but hope someone could tell me instead of letting me burn down my sx chips.^^tongue.gif

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-08 19:36
    If the oscillator source was seperate unit, it would probably be okay.

I don't think you can share the programming pins (I can't see how it would work).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • KelvinLKelvinL Posts: 15
    edited 2007-02-08 19:56
    Thanks bean,

what if i make a power switch to turn off one sx chip's power(disconnection the Vdd) while i am programming the other sx, does this work by connecting them to the same pins osc1 and osc2?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kelvin Liao
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-02-09 17:49
    Kelvin,

The potential problem I see there is that the un-powered SX would impose a load on the SX-Key/Blitz which may interfere with programming. Even if it does work there’s no way to know the long-term affects to the programmer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-02-09 18:38
    Thanks Chris, that's a lesson to me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kelvin Liao
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-09 19:39
    Kelvin,
    If your looking at a design that needs multiple processors, it might be worth looking at the propeller chip.
    I had a video overlay module that would have needed 2 SXs to work, but I ended up using the propeller and it worked great and had alot more capabilities. (PS/2 keyboard, multiple serial inputs, etc).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
    edited 2007-02-09 22:35
    Yes Bean,
    I have bought a propeller demo board and have experienced its power. I think propeller is the ultima solution to deal with multiple tasks and small console system.
    But I still need a cheap yet powerful MCU for deploing in some simple tasks in several discrete equipments, such like electrical tile toy which depends on to discrete parts to build up a different look or music. So I think SX or Pico is the choice in this situation.

As well as my toppest post, I agree with you that I should consider propeller for the "servo brain" case.

Thanks a lot for the information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kelvin Liao