Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NOOB to SX question — Parallax Forums

NOOB to SX question

studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
edited 2007-02-09 00:13 in General Discussion
Hi -
I am new and trying to learn here. So please forgive me if I do not ask this correctly;

If I get the chip and go through the examples in the book. Will what I learn from there be same syntax for the assembly language used on other major pics?

I have a couple of pics and do not know hwo to properly write assembly and trying to learn. I found information on the SX chip and looks like a good place for me to start. Or is there a better way I should go?

EDIT:
Can any of the stamps use assembly instead of PBASIC? How do I know which stamp to buy that supports assembly from parallax?

Thanks!@

Post Edited (studysession) : 2/8/2007 9:24:32 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-08 21:40
    To answer your second question first ... The Stamps can only be programmed in PBasic. There is an interpreter for PBasic that is pre-programmed into the chips (and is written in assembly language). You cannot mix the two.

If you get the SX and go through the examples in the book(s), you will learn basic concepts. The SX processors are similar to the PICs, but not the same. The assembly language is similar, but not the same. You can apply what you learn to the PICs, but you will need to learn different details.

The SX and PICs have somewhat different design philosophies in that the PIC is a simple 8-bit processor. Much of the fancy peripheral stuff is done in special purpose logic blocks that you manipulate by setting values into special memory locations (registers). The basic processor manipulates the result of the special purpose logic blocks and moves information back and forth mostly.

The SX is also a relatively simple 8-bit processor. It has very few special purpose logic blocks built-in. It is much much faster than the PIC processors and it has special logic to allow it to use interrrupts in a very predictible, reproducible way. As a result, many of the functions that the PIC does in special purpose logic blocks can be done in software and the SX comes with an extensive library of predefined functions in software.

The SX is a good way to learn about microcontrollers. There's plenty of educational material and the support provided by Parallax is excellent.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,942
    edited 2007-02-08 22:57
    To follow up on Mike's point, if you go with the SX you can use Parallax's free SX/B compiler which is very PBASIC-like, but allows you to see the details and mix in assembly if you choose.
  • studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
    edited 2007-02-09 00:01
    Thanks -
  • ElectronegativityElectronegativity Posts: 311
    edited 2007-02-09 00:13
    Actually, it seems that you can program the stamp in assembly.
    At least according to Paul Baker's comment in this previous thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=550537

I'm sure it would be an awful idea to convert your $44 BS2 into a big ugly $2.79 SX chip, but inadvisable is not the same as impossible smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wonder if this wire is hot...