Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hall effect sensors — Parallax Forums

Hall effect sensors

stev0tronstev0tron Posts: 12
edited 2007-02-07 04:38 in General Discussion
Hey all, I'm pretty much a beginner in the field of robotics and am looking for a decent sensor to detect a magnetic field of about 10K Gauss. Anyone know of a company who manufactures a reliable sensor with a fairly long range?

Comments

• WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2007-02-07 02:39
    HI i,m not shure how much tht is but have u thought of the compass,, just a thought it senses earth magnet fields(.5 gauss)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Problems are the "roads" of life,
    solutions are only "onramps" to the next problem

············································· "Brad Smith"
    ·
  • stev0tronstev0tron Posts: 12
    edited 2007-02-07 03:51
    Yeah I have thought about them, the only problem I see with them is over saturation when approaching an intense field... I was though thinking about possibly using both, one to aim me in the right direction, then once a certain saturation exists, have another take over for pin pointing
  • mediaprefectmediaprefect Posts: 31
    edited 2007-02-07 04:18
    You have me confused. 10KGauss field, fine; "with a fairly long range" sounds like you want to measure from a distance, right? Also, please define what you mean by "decent".

Well then the magnetic field that you measure would not still be 10KGauss at the measurement point, would it? Magnetic field strength cannot be measured from a distance directly, the same as you can use an IR sensor to measure the surface temperature of an object a few feet away. You can only measure the magnetic field where the sensor is. The field is directional too. It's similar to trying to directly weigh a pile of sand with your scale covered by the sand at the edge of the pile. It don't work.

Perhaps if you instead state what you are trying to accomplish, somebody can help point you in the correct direction.

Also, do a bit more reading about magnetism before you proceed. It's interesting stuff.

Rick
  • stev0tronstev0tron Posts: 12
    edited 2007-02-07 04:36
    Sorry about the confusion Rick, I am sort of new to the field of magnetism and it is very interesting indeed. At first, I thought that I could find a sensor that could detect a finite magnetic field from afar, but from studying up on the subject, like you said, its not seeming to be possible. I was hoping to have something that could detect that field from lets say 10' and detect the intensity, however, the field appearently doesn't radiate that far. Thanks for the analogies Rick, instead of trying to weigh the whole pile of sand, I wanted to just know that a pile of sand was there by finding that edge, then by being able to detect increasing weight, move to the center.
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2007-02-07 04:38
    Heck a properly made coil will do a better job of long distance reading of magnetic gauss than will a hall efect sensor...
    The current/voltage of a coil will change with the changing gaussian field.
    Thats how metal locators work by measuring the changes of earths magnetic field when a piece of metal is near.
    Each type of metal has it's own characteistic way of changing earths magnetic field..

Bob