Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
led message dispaly — Parallax Forums

led message dispaly

arasharash Posts: 2
edited 2007-02-06 22:40 in General Discussion
hello

please help me for make circuit ,hardware,and software

led message display with rgb

exampel sit[noparse]:http:[/noparse]//home.versatel.nl/edithenwilliam/william.htm

go to Magic Ball

32rgb .

please ·help· .ineed schematic hardware and software

thank youwink.gif

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-02-03 17:13
    Well, this is not a completed project (not by the post's originator) nor does it use a Stamp/Parallax product.

Now, that's pretty darned cool!

It's the re-birth of mechanical television.· There's a .WMV where he's using R-G-B LEDs, showing a bunch of comics/character pictures.· Not lots going on motion-wise, but highly intriguing.· (Wonder what's the motor rpm.· 1800+?)
  • tommytommy Posts: 84
    edited 2007-02-05 04:36
    . well I use Parallax's SX-28 chips ---· and viewing the short videos of the words floating in the air created with the spinning LED's reminded me that...

...I have three 5 x 7 matrix 'blocks' sitting in my toolbox - I bought them not·knowing how they worked·--- to discover that only a few of the dots can be lit up at any one time...

.· can someone point me to a tutorial as to their operation ? ? ?· both actual operation and theory of operation would be nice --- perhaps I might broadcast letters and symbols as well as numbers...···· Surely the SX is speedy enough to operate them...
    tommy
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-02-05 05:03
    This thread is being moved from the Completed Projects Forum to the Sandbox Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-02-05 20:57
    Calling pjv, Calling pjv !

tommy,

I'm sure he'll be along shortly to tell you all about "charlie-plexing".

Update:· If not, have look here -- http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=622556
  • tommytommy Posts: 84
    edited 2007-02-06 00:20
    . okay.· I've read all that - that was good - to summarize, it was mostly about power distribution using (25%) duty-cycle to not overload the SX.··there was little discussion about lighting certain LEDS simultaneously (or quickly one after the other to fool the eye).

. in the 5 x 7 matrix, using two leads of just power and ground, only one pixel could be lit at a time...·· Theory first, please:· things like duty-cycle and figuring out the letter-patterns should I wish to spell a word...
    ·attachment.php?attachmentid=45333
    ·. I spend my life putting things in a row (it's an affliction of sorts, but it's led me through MS-DOS·assembly language, and now to the SX-28 chips and all manner and wonder of the building of·electronic toys and tools)...··· but·working out·schemes to obtain the appearance (to one's eyes) of·more than a few·pixels lit at once --- (3% duty-cycle ?) --- well, in this case it seems rather staggering.

. i'm interested.·· thank you.··· tommy

. Tues, 2/6, 4:00pm --- and I didn't initially mean to hijack this fella's thread - I thought that with the second· comment of "no Parallax parts" that maybe he was done...··· how do I get out of here to start over just on 5 x 7 displays ? ? ?· (tommy)

Post Edited (tommy) : 2/6/2007 9:01:47 PM GMT
    300 x 350 - 19K
    edited 2007-02-06 02:20
    I'm going to let this ride for a couple of days.·

Someone may ring in in the meantime (that's cool), probably Mr. Charlie-plex himself.· If not, I'll pass on some (or some more) info.

Hang in there.·

Maybe decide if you see it as 5 lines with 7 dots or 7 lines with 5 dots.· It's relative.· I would concentrate on getting one matrix working, leaving cascading etc. for another day.· More relativity.· Better to nail the fundamentals first.

Can you handle a transistor?· I like transistors.· Everybody sweats their precious Stamp/SX pins, and I can groove with that, so I (almost) always use transistors on the output pins so nobody has to stress over whether they're drawing too much current package-wise and all that rot.· There's nothing that I hate seeing more than that green "cry-baby" Post Icon.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 2/6/2007 2:28:49 AM GMT
  • arasharash Posts: 2
    edited 2007-02-06 08:37
    hi

i need harware ,software,

exampel sit[noparse]:http:[/noparse]//home.versatel.nl/edithenwilliam/william.htm

go to Magic Ball

please helppppppppppp
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2007-02-06 16:54
    Arash-

Are you asking somebody to engineer the project for you? If so, it would be better to say "I am looking for an engineer to....", instead of expecting people to give their time and resources just because you expect it.

Hardware takes time and resources
    Software takes time and resources
    Communication protocol takes time and resources.

I would help, but I am currently on a project. I may be available in May.

It isn't too difficult of a design.· The design on that page could use some tweaking for the motor speed...It may look better if the rpms matched the refresh-rate of the LEDs.· It is aliasing pretty bad.

Post Edited (Steel) : 2/6/2007 4:58:41 PM GMT
    edited 2007-02-06 22:40
    tommy said...
    how do I get out of here to start over just on 5 x 7 displays ? ? ?· (tommy)
    tommy,

Just start a new subject ("5x7 LED matrix -- How To?")·

And, keep it here, in The Sandbox -- or if you want to use SX, then Post it there (I suppose.)