Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sudden SASM Death Syndrome — Parallax Forums

Sudden SASM Death Syndrome

Mr_NukeMr_Nuke Posts: 47
edited 2007-02-05 17:29 in General Discussion
Hi everyone,

I was working on an SX project.·After assembling the code with a few errors, I corrected them and pressed Ctrl-A to assembled again. The SX-Key editor stopped responding for a while and then I got a message box saying "SASM.dll has stopped working". I restarted, tried again, and got the·same error.·I tried reinstalling the SX-Key Editor, but I still got the same error.

Anyone had this problem before, and is there a solution to this? I'm thinking of deleting some register values but don't know which.

Alex.

PC Specs (should it prove helpful):
Athlon 64 3200+
2GB (2 * 1GB) PC3200 RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
160 GB HDD (About 30GB free)
nVidia GeForce 6800

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Fear not that your project does not work, for it will,

Fear not if you see·a long dark path ahead, but follow it,
Fear not if what worked now refuses to,
For the only thing that's perfect is imperfection.

Comments

• CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2007-01-22 14:10
    I don't know anyone running Vista, so I can't help.

I can tell you, I've had no problems.

Chris
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-01-22 20:20
    Alex,

Actually, there is no dialog in the SX-Key IDE or SASM that says, "SASM.dll has stopped working." When reporting errors and problems, it always helps if you provide the actual, word accurate text of any and all error messages you receive.

So, in order to help you figure out your problem, the two things you need to do are:

1 - Post a message with the exact error message.

2 - Provide your source code that caused the crash.
      Thanks, PeterM
  • Mr_NukeMr_Nuke Posts: 47
    edited 2007-01-22 21:27
    Peter,

The message that I am getting is a Windows message. The IDE does not provide me with any error message. As for the source code, any code, even code that previously assembled successfully now causes the error. I am as much in shadow about this as any of you are. The most I can do is say I am certain it is not the code causing the crash (simply clicking the assemble button will cause an error, regardless of the code), and provide a screenshot with the error message. Even if this information might not be helpful, I was hoping there is somebody that had the same or similar error, and might know how to correct it. This is leading me to believe that there might be a problem with Windows, and not the IDE.

(I have already tried compatibility mode.)

Sincerely,

Alex G.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

1680 x 1050 - 152K
  • James NewtonJames Newton Posts: 329
    edited 2007-01-22 22:58
    Check the event log. Not sure where that is in Vista, but in XP it is on the control panel under administrative tools. Or under "performance and maintenance." The Application or System section will have reports that provide more detail about what exactly hung and possibly why. You can also try http://www.systinternals.com (which will re-direct to a Microsoft page) and under the section for processes get procexp.exe and run it before trying to compile. It will show you exactly what processes are running, what they are doing, and possibly explain what the issue is.

Now that I think of it: Try running sasm from the command line. With no parameters at first, and then later with whatever the command line is supposed to be. I'm sure someone knows. That will tell you if SASM is trying to report an error.

Scandisk? Defrag? Full uninstall THEN re-install? Another machine?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ---
    James Newton, Host of SXList.com
    james at sxlist,com 1-619-652-0593 fax:1-208-279-8767
    SX FAQ / Code / Tutorials / Documentation:
    http://www.sxlist.com Pick faster!

• PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-01-23 02:43
    Alex,

Ah. I thought you were referring to an internal IDE or SASM error message. Have you tried the old standby of uninstalling and re-installing the IDE?

Thanks,
    PeterM
  • Mr_NukeMr_Nuke Posts: 47
    edited 2007-02-05 17:29
    Hello everybody,

First, I'm sorry for taking so much time to respond, but I am stuck with school and the FIRST Robotics Competition nowadays.

The problem I have only occurs on one computer. I am not sure as to what caused the error, but it only appeared after installing Microchip's MPLAB IDE. As I have noticed, the installer modifies some Windows files. I suspect that one of the modifications is causing the error, since other·applications have stopped working as well.

Thank you all for your help!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔