Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parental controlled alarm clock — Parallax Forums

Parental controlled alarm clock

bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
edited 2007-01-31 18:44 in Propeller 1

I have a teenager that refuses to get up, thanks to the propeller and a few spare parts·I finally was able to take my old basic stamp prototype I made last year apart and give it some power, I added the simplelan to send text to it. With the prop, now I can work on intercom ability and voice samples.

I will be testing it on my 14 year old daughter starting this week, it has·a 9v·in it in case she unplugs it from the wall.

The only way to stop it screaming is to use the remote control device prototype·rf transmitter receiver from ebay now, regular ir later, from our locked room, where mom will not shut it off untill she is "up and adam".

Ill let you know if it works well on my defiant 14 year old, probably be destroyed the first night.

Here is a pic of it displaying varables from the simplelan.

http://www.probasstournaments.com/

Comments

• ChrisEChrisE Posts: 19
    edited 2007-01-28 17:56
    You are evil! smilewinkgrin.gif

My dad would have loved to have a similar device for me!

Sounds interesting though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2007-01-28 18:04
    Oh, yeh. I like this!

It looks like you might be interested in commerciallizing this, but in the meantime, would you consider posting plans and code?

Jim C
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-01-28 23:14
    Jamesx said...
    Oh, yeh. I like this!

It looks like you might be interested in commerciallizing this, but in the meantime, would you consider posting plans and code?

Jim C
    ColdfusionX on ebay has the remote unit / receiver that I interfaced with, but·there is a patent on a rf controlled alarm clock already that specifically explains the alarm sound and that the user will need to hold the alarm off button on the rf remote for 12 seconds etc. I found the patent after my prototype, so a IR·may need to be done, which limits the device to line of sight. But that patent is so specific, I am not sure It is a problem using RF.

I am not a lawer, so I have no Idea of the commercial value or legality of trying to comercialize it.

For now its just a hobby device, and maybe I will comercialize it.

My main goal is waking up my daughter now. I already am a Sr. Engineer and make a very good income, so this is just a pipedream/hobby now. I might post the coldfusionxRF spin object.

Sean Rohde
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 19
    edited 2007-01-31 17:24
    Hey Sean,

Found this·via Makezine.com, it's called 'Clocky'.

http://www.nandahome.com/

It's quite comical.

Why not build your own?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ······ " There are 10 types of people in the world:
    ··········Those who understand binary, and those who don't... "
    - www.timesecret.de
    500 x 375 - 133K
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-31 18:44
    Hehe, it's funny they made that into a product. Clocky was invented Gauri Nanda at MIT, here's a link to the press release of project: http://www.media.mit.edu/press/clocky/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.