Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fluid Level Detection — Parallax Forums

Fluid Level Detection

MikeLMikeL Posts: 6
edited 2007-01-26 14:06 in General Discussion
I have plastic water/waste tanks that are inaccessable from the top to put senders in and can just barely access from one side, has anyone got suggestions for a capatacitance type sensor that can be stuck on the exterior side and monitored by a BS2. The tank wall is 3/8" thick and about 20 inches high.

I can buy ready made capacitance ones as described but the cost is a bit high, I already am monitoring other things with the BS2 so it would be great to integrate the level sensing. I've tried making a version using copper tape but am not good with the circuitry to interface something useable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2007-01-19 22:48
    MikeL said...
    I have plastic water/waste tanks that are inaccessable from the top to put senders in and can just barely access from one side, has anyone got suggestions for a capatacitance type sensor that can be stuck on the exterior side and monitored by a BS2. The tank wall is 3/8" thick and about 20 inches high.

I can buy ready made capacitance ones as described but the cost is a bit high, I already am monitoring other things with the BS2 so it would be great to integrate the level sensing. I've tried making a version using copper tape but am not good with the circuitry to interface something useable.

Thanks!

Mount a liquid pressure transducer to pipe at or below bottom of tank..
    The level in the tank will reflect on the transducer....
    You can also use a float/magnet combo with hall effect or reed switches.
    The best way depends on how accurate you want the readings to be, and how much $$$ you want to spend... burger.gif

Bob scool.gif
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 6
    edited 2007-01-20 05:41
    Accuracy is not so important, if I can get 1/8 or better increments I'm a happy guy. Pressure transducers seem to run at a high cost. As I hinted above there is a commercial system that literally tapes 2 foils on the tank exterior connected to a digital guage and can give incremental measurements - and costs a couple hundred bucks.

It can't be a rocket science (just for me), but it looks to me like a very sensitive capacitor meter.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2007-01-20 17:15
    Qprox/ Qtouch sells an analog version of the capactive sensor that Parallax stocks (switch type)... QT300 series? $3-$4 in single unit and easy interface as I recall (I have some on my bench, but haven't even opened them yet. I'm thinking contactless bump sensor...
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2007-01-20 19:44
    seems to me I've read about how to do this either in the downloaded nuts and volts articles or in the books i bought " microcontrollers cookbook 1 & 2", it basicly amounts to making a tap off the bottom of the tank, and using a 3/4 or 1" dia piece of tygon for a watercollumn, paste the sticky copper tape to either side...using rctime to get a reading off of it.. i believe the article said it was nearly linear..

as to exactly where i read it ... shrugs

good luck
    edited 2007-01-21 06:11
    Great feedback so far, and questions...

Sawmiller, I saw and bullt that unit but couldn't get any readings from it. I still have it sitting on my workbench and can't find the original construction article now. Seems that excitation of that field is really critical. The principal is is there, it's just the electronics to work it right.

LSB, the QT1081 8-KEY QTouch™ SENSOR IC looks like potential but reading the manuals it has countermeasures for false alarms with water bridges, which is excatly the opposite of what I need.

Robert, what kind of pressure sensor did you have in mine, and what kind of cost? If were talking $25 a sender then it's good as long as I don't need a lot of supporting electronics to work it.

Here are a couple links to commercial units that I would like to mimic but using the Stamp II and pc interface:

Raritan has the method that is most practical for me:
    http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/tank_monitor/L1036s.pdf

Fireboy is doable with a lot of access problems:
    http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/liquid-level-monitors.htm

Post Edited (MikeL) : 1/21/2007 6:33:54 AM GMT
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-01-21 06:31
    I use the Qprox 160 in a touch panel system, with the right value capicitor in the sense circuit, you may be able to have it detect fluid. They are very straight forward, they output a high on a sense, with options for various lengths of output per sense, i.e. 10 sec, infinity etc. Digikey stocks them. The 160 is a 6 input version with what's called " adjacent key suppression" which you may not need. There are other single, dual etc input versions without the key suppression.

Allelectronics sells this for fluid level detection:

www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/L4620/285/LIQUID_LEVEL_ALARM_IC_.html

Post Edited (originator) : 1/21/2007 6:49:17 AM GMT
    edited 2007-01-21 06:48
    Originator, thanks and I am reading the tech sheet on this chip. Keep in mind I need to detect liquid that is behind a 3/8" wall of PVC which is a pretty good dielectric insulator....that's a really big capacitor?

If I really had to, I could drill holes into the tank sides at a steep angle and use stainless steel probes with silicon sealant, but stick-on foil tape would certainly be easier to install and no fuss or worry of leaks. And I have a roll of stick-on copper foil which needs a good use [noparse];)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-01-21 11:53
    From their site, in regard to the QT301:
    Somebody said...
    The QT301 QProx™ programmable capacitive IC is suitable for fluid, and material sensing. It can project sense fields through up to 100mm (4&#8221[noparse];)[/noparse] of insulation or air. It is an 8-pin device available in SOIC or DIP.

The device offers continuous with full endpoint calibration and 8-bit PWM Output. It is a 1-channel sensor IC with PWM output and is easily calibrated for offset and span.

I don't know much more about it, yet. It seems easy enough to interface... 8 bit PWM
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2007-01-21 13:00
    The thicker the sense panel the better. I have used a 4" x 4" x .25 and set it to sense a hand at approx 8 inches. Aluminum is good, copper too. You should just hook one up, leave an easy method for changing out the capacitors so you can see what works best, keep changing them till one suits the application. Get an assortment.

3/8 pvc is no big deal. The caps are tiny, in the 10nF-100nF range as I recall.
    edited 2007-01-22 14:18
    Got code/ schematics? I'd like to see anything on the analog verson. Seems like an awesome method for short range sensing... Make sense panels from all my bad boards!
    edited 2007-01-25 02:28
    I found the original article from Nuts n Volts, it's Column #27, May 1997 by Scott Edwards.

I rebuilt the circuit and as best as I could adapted his BS1 code to my BS2. My readings are erratic no matter what I do, they bounce from 0 to 3600 at random, mostly from one end to the other and nothing in between.

I see there's another thread on reading a gas tank, this would be great if it worked for reading fuel too.

There are 2 companies that make external capacitative tank level guages, so I know it can be done - I'm not trying to steal there idea, just trying to integrate all my custom sensing requirements into my BS2:

New Providence Marine Systems: http://www.newprovidencemarine.com/

Snake River Electronics: www.SnakeRiverElectronics.com

Thanks
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2007-01-25 15:24
    Mike L

I'm going to do some capacitance test with fuel (safe environment ....outside witha safe distance) so I will be able to answer the fuel capacitance, but it will be a while, my project has not evolved enough to need the fuel level sensing yet.

James L
    edited 2007-01-26 01:59
    LSB, the QT301 QProx looks mighty interesting and costs less than 4 bucks USD from DigiKey. I thinks I may just order me a couple for the breadboard. Thanks for the tip!

James L, what kind of tank is it? plastic or metal. Obviously if metal you have to do "wet" measurements, which shouldn't be a problem with capacitance, given the low sensing voltages needed I can't imagine a spark being generated. I figure if they can put an open (wet) rheostat inside the tank..... On the other hand if plastic then you're looking for the same thing I am, dry sensing.

BTW, those links I posted, I believe they sell additional sensors (3 wire, +/- & signal) for their guages for like $60 US, probably has less than $10 invested in parts.

Mike

Post Edited (MikeL) : 1/26/2007 2:04:19 AM GMT
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2007-01-26 03:16
    Mike L

One of the tanks I'm sensing from is an aluminum tank, the other a fibergl(expletive) tank. I want to use the same system for both.

I think I can build a capacitance probe for that.....actually much cheaper. I worked on military helicopters that used capacitance probes, so I know how they are built.

I'm going to try and see if I can get a large explosion. I doubt I will have any luck. Gasoline actually take quite a bit to ignite, usually a very hot spark with it under a fair amount of pressure.

But better to test than have a tank down the road exploding.

James L

LOL....I tried three times to edit my post....didn't realize the forum edited post for bad words......so a composite tank.
    edited 2007-01-26 14:06
    Now THAT'S funny... Perhaps we should all take a cl(expletive) in ubergeek and use fibergl4zz?

[noparse][[/noparse]edit]LOL... there will be no more cl(expletive) in this forum and no one will wear gl(expletive)es. Good news is there won't be any harr(expletive)ment either!
    I wonder if we can still press buttons?[noparse][[/noparse]/edit]

Post Edited (LSB) : 1/26/2007 2:11:25 PM GMT