Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Netburner Parallax Pink hacking — Parallax Forums

Netburner Parallax Pink hacking

TimCTimC Posts: 77
edited 2007-01-25 02:49 in General Discussion
Hi all,
If you purchase the Pink module from Netburner, the hardwware makers of the pink module, you get a working copy of the firmware that makes a SB70 turn into a pink module.

www.netburner.com/products/development_kits/serial_to_ethernet_development.html

The other good news is that it's $99, however you can not call Parallax and ask for support!!
The Pink firmware is lots of C code so make sure you are ready.

I have seen the SimpleLAN from www.avcomtec.com for $30 but the Freescale ColdFire 5270 (SB70) is a full 32-bit high performance processor running at 141mhz, has 2MBytes of SDRAM and 512K Flash Memory for web pages. Simple LAN has 31K for webpages and 1,200 bytes for variables.

Hacking so far:
I can change the UDP port!
Added a page hit variable for non-unique page hits smile.gif
Now working on reading weather.com to get the current temperature based on location!

TimC

Post Edited (TimC) : 1/17/2007 7:50:12 PM GMT

Comments

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-01-17 03:34
    That's pretty neat. I wonder why they never made the udp port changeable via one of the serial / web accessible variables. I wonder if Parallax would allow people to begin releasing modified firmware (I assume there is probably a non-commercial / private use only license attached to the PINK sources).
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-01-18 03:30
    TimC,· You sound like just the guy i want to talk to.· I want to be able to to make the PINK 'POST' to another website.· Does this make sense?· If i create a page on the PINK with Variables displayed on it, i then want to 'Post' it to another site that can parse the information on the page.· All of my PINKS are behind many firewalls and therefore the Other site can not look for them.· They have to 'POST' to the other server preferably by ip.· The psot could be made to happen when a 1 is written to the 100th variable space or something and then i could write a code to make that happen every hour or so.· Any ideas?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • TimCTimC Posts: 77
    edited 2007-01-18 22:03
    It's not flashy and cool but passing messages via email might work the best because "posts" would not be lost and all the "posts" could be tracked. That said, the pink would have to be able to recieve email messages which might be possible...

Other ways might be to do as you say and post to another machine but I am not sure as to how the other machine would have to be set up so it would be always ready. Maybe just a tcp/ip message might work on port 80 which could get past the firewalls and would work the same way the UDP works now from the programing side. The messages could include cool things like a ping function so you know all the clients (pinks) are working.

All this is a mixture of what can be done, what should be done, and what is really usefull (and fun)

Tim
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-01-18 23:26
    can i contact you personally to discuss this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2007-01-19 02:27
    OK I turned PM on.
    edited 2007-01-24 04:51
    Just to be perfectly clear I am not here to step on the toes of Parallax or rewrite the PINK code and send it to someone (unless I have approval)

I am here to have fun!

Yesterday and today I got the PINK to scan email. For some reason I thought it would be cool to light a LED when I get an email from a specified address.

Regards
    Tim
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-01-24 06:20
    Tim,

Just to clarify, you are writing your own custom code from scratch using the development tools from Net Burner, correct? Your message and subsequent replies seemed to indicate your working off the same firmware we are using.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-01-24 17:55
    Chris,
    I believe I have the same PINK firmware as you do
    It was supplied to me by Netburner
    Tim
    edited 2007-01-24 20:36
    Tim,

I don’t believe that is possible. When you go to your nb_default.htm page, does it have the Parallax Inc. logo at the top?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-01-25 01:53
    Chris,
    There is no nb_default.htm page so maybe I do not have the origional
    Tim
    edited 2007-01-25 02:49
    Tim,

There are things specific to our firmware that is not part of the code you normally get. Much of our firmware is customized, including the screens (web pages) for the variables and settings. PINK stands for Parallax Internet Netburner Kit. So without our firmware it is a standard Netburner Module until you modify the stock source code. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support