Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DLP-PROP vs. PropSTICK USB — Parallax Forums

DLP-PROP vs. PropSTICK USB

Joe McClureJoe McClure Posts: 21
edited 2007-01-15 07:40 in Propeller 1
Hi all,
I was looking at the DLP-PROP that is offered in the third party·propeller tools link (http://www.parallax.com/propeller/tools.asp).
The DLP-PROP is $69.95 and the Propstick is $79.95.
The DLP-PROP has·a 6MHz crystal vs. the 5MHz in the·PropSTICK.
Other than that, is there a significant difference between the two that·I have missed?
Any opinons on the DLP-PROP?

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-01-12 19:56
    Off the top of my head, I'd pick the PropSTICK USB simply because it's Parallax and I know their stuff is good quality.

If you really care about the $10, I'm sure the DLP one is fine too.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-12 20:19
    One difference that I see from the documentation (I don't own either one of them) is that Parallax's PropStick USB is pin compatible with the Propeller, where as the DLP-prop pinout is not the same.

It's a small detail, but I myself would prefer a module that's pin compatible with the chip that it's meant to replace.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Ian CameronIan Cameron Posts: 2
    edited 2007-01-12 20:46
    The DLP-Prop doesn't actually have a crystal, it derives its clock from the FT232R chip on the module. If it's not plugged into your USB port, it won't work.

Ian.

(EDIT: formatting)

Post Edited (Ian Cameron) : 1/12/2007 8:51:09 PM GMT
  • Joe McClureJoe McClure Posts: 21
    edited 2007-01-12 22:49
    Hey,
    Thanks everyone for the input.
    Sounds like the Propstick is the way to go.
    Which was my first inclination because of the quality that Bergamot brings up.
    I have always had good experiences with Parallax, clear back to when I got my first bs2 many moons ago.
    I hesitated in getting the Propstick because I am ordering other components not available at Parallax from the same company that offers the DLP-Prop.
    So to save some shipping costs, I pondered just using DLP-Prop instead of the Propstick.
    But it sounds like the DLP-Prop (which may be a fine product) is just not what I had in mind.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-01-15 02:16
    >>The Propstick is not exactly pin-compatible, but the differences are minor.

It's pretty darn close - I'm currently running a PropStick USB in a Propeller Robot Controller board (designed for the 40 pin Propeller chip) and the only changes I needed to make were to not populate the crystal and the EEPROM on the PRC board.