Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax.com Ordering/Shipping ERROR! — Parallax Forums

Parallax.com Ordering/Shipping ERROR!

Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
edited 2007-01-13 19:47 in Propeller 1
Sorry to post this in here, Only I knew it would be seen.
There seems to be an error on parallax's ordering website.

Below is a picture I took of this error.
It only happens every once in a while.
I clicked back and re-submitted a few times, everything was fine about 4/5th of the time. (The error looks like it is showing up at random)
Also when this bug happens, Opera (web browser) displays a blank page. While Internet Explorer displays the error message along with a $100 shipping fee.

Anyway I just wanted to make you all aware of this.
Many Thanks.

--Andrew Arsenault
(p.s) I'm still submitting my order the other 4/5ths of the time when it is correct. (lol)

Post Edited (Ym2413a) : 1/8/2007 3:51:56 AM GMT

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-01-08 04:24
    Hi Andrew,

This happens from time to time when our server is unable to resolve the real shipping cost when it attempts to connect to the UPS/FedEx/USPS servers. A default shipping value will make itself·at home and show up with·the crazy amount you observed.

If you process the order our sales people will know there's some foul play and use the regular discounted rate that UPS provides Parallax by quoting it manually. Your credit card will have a larger hold than we actually charge in this case. We won't charge you the hundred bucks for shipping, believe me.

We have a new web site planned for release on March 1, 2007. It's about two years late at this point but we're driven to get it finished. This issue will be fixed on our new web site.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-08 21:20
    So the morning of March 2nd, we can count on Jim the IT guy having a massive hangover from celebration?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • edited 2007-01-10 21:16
    Affirmative but if it's not it could be from the 10lb sledge hammer Ken carries with him! Haha
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2007-01-12 18:30
    IT Guy here. UPS changed a few details in the conversation between our server and their systems right before the Christmas break. UPS introduced new features and changed some of the details on what shipping services are valid, depending on the package and destination. We are working through this challenge and hope to have a solution in place shortly.

There is a silver lining in all of this. We have corrected several performance issues related to the shopping cart. The delays you may have experienced when moving through the checkout pages has been vastly improved. Place an order and experience the difference. [noparse][[/noparse]shameless plug].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-01-12 19:34
    Paul Bouchard (Parallax) said...
    Affirmative but if it's not it could be from the 10lb sledge hammer Ken carries with him! Haha
    As a fellow IT guy, I state with certainty, that IT Guys, like the machines they work on, do not responde well to hammers.·nono.gif I have found that fine cigars and 20 year old (or older) single malt Scotch work much better.· Jim may have other thoughts on what works best, but I suspect he'll agree that hammers are not much good.turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-01-12 19:50
    Actually, I once fixed a server, over the phone, by telling a user to 'switch off the server, place his left fist on the side of the it, about 4" from the bottom, and 3" from the rear, then HIT IT!'...

Brute force WORKS!
    If you know where to apply it...
    (That server had an ordinary MB with long VESA LocalBus cards, and when he hit it, the Video card - which had shifted slightly when they moved it - popped back into its slot... )

Note; that wasn't a rackmounted server, though...
    (It was a local brand 'BITS', and except for that slight problem it ran flawlessly for 5 years)

What works best on me, though, is good tea and whatever creme-filled cookies are on sale...

Remember the sying 'beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers'?
    I'm a BOFH carrying a Leatherman...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-01-13 19:47
    I ran across the $100 shipping thing when I ordered my PropStick months ago. I didn't want to wait long for it so I selected the fastest shipping. "$100?! I don't want it that bad!" I ended up going for the cheapest shipping instead.

Edit: On another site, I once bought something that rang up as $0 for the product. Now that's what I call a deal.