Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Electric Motors — Parallax Forums

Electric Motors

Nick WaldvogelNick Waldvogel Posts: 71
edited 2007-01-12 16:38 in General Discussion
I am wondering where you guys get your motors??·· I want to use two motors to drive·a "pit cart".·· It's basically a tool box that has drive wheels.· The box will weigh about 500 - 800 pounds with tools in it.·
·
I would also like to use DC motors so that it's portable.· Any thoughts??··idea.gif··
Thanks!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I'm just 10 people short of a threesome!!

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2007-01-12 03:51
    Nick--

What kind of surface will it be on? How fast does it need to run?

If the speed is not too important, take a look at Banebot gearmotors. If speed is important and the surface is smooth, Banebot has several geardrives on identical motors that might suit your needs. The most powerful (and slowest, of course) has an 18,061 oz-in stall torque and·a no-load 75 rpm. It is pretty much a monster in this small world.

I have been experimenting with several smaller versions from Banebot: The largest I use has a stall torque of "just" 2368 oz-in. I have often said that I will use it to power a lift for my Sportster. (I won't, but it would.)

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-01-12 04:02
    Alot of your best deals for the money are found through surplus houses. Allelectronics and Goldmine are good places to start.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-12 04:37
    Paul's right on with the surplus motors. There's no reason to pay top dollar for new motors when the surplus market is glutted with them. I'd also add Herbach & Rademan (H&R) to the list.

-Phil
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2007-01-12 13:41
    Hello
    Check out wheelchair motors on Ebay. Cheap,powerful,and very efficent!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks, Parallax!
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-01-12 13:53
    I don't know if they're powerful enough for this task, but...

There's heaps of cheap 12V/14.4V/18V cordless dritts on the market.
    They come with 4 nice parts:

1. Motor.
    2. Battery suited to power it.
    3. Speed regulator(probably not suited for this task?)
    4. Charger matched to the battery.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2007-01-12 16:38
    Gadgetman has a point... "dritts" and all. You can usually find a good deal on cordless drills in the clearance isle.

Another source for a decent motor which you can probably find from one of the surplus houses mentioned above is a windshield wiper motor. (Also found at your local automotive store)
    Some of these "windshield wiper" motors I have seen direct from the surplus houses are already equipped with a "lawnmower replacement wheel" with a robotics theme in mind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.