Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What a gamer's gotta do — Parallax Forums

What a gamer's gotta do

CJCJ Posts: 470
edited 2007-01-08 04:56 in Propeller 1
I got fed up with knockoff SNES controllers and decided to write a simple translator so I could use my nice responsive Playstation controller with my SNES.

the SNES output driver is also my first real work done in assembly

attached is the little package of fun, enjoy

edit: updated the archive with a much more compatible and commented output driver

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.

Post Edited (CJ) : 1/8/2007 2:24:46 AM GMT

Comments

• Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-01-02 07:50
    I prefer playstation controllers too. Ironically the knockoff playstation controllers tend to be better than the knockoff controllers available for other systems.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-01-03 04:44
    Now if someone only made a "knock off" connector and I could order thousands at a time.

Andre'
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-01-03 08:11
    No kidding. I'd settle for knowing a good source to find 1 or 2. But hey, if you break open the connector on the end of a Playstation controller, the wires are terminated with small pins that are perfect for breadboarding...
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-01-08 00:49
    I don't have a board yet and I am trying to understand you code. Does all of that run on the same cog or am I going to consume multiple cogs with the three spin files? I am interested in making this work with the HYDRA games on a ProtoBoard when they come out.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-01-08 01:36
    it uses 3 cogs, one to read the playstation controller, another to set the proper bits for output by the third cog running the synchronus serial slave code to ouput the data LSB first, mimicing the shift registers used in Super Nintendo controllers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-01-08 04:53
    Thanks for the reply. This may be my first project - to create a single cog PlayStation controller that can be used by the HYDRA demo programs. It sounds challenging but not impossible as I understand things now. I will know more when I get my hands on the real hardware.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-01-08 04:56
    I updated the archive in the first post with my current code, with the SNES output driver commented a bunch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔