Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Resonant Low Pass Filter — Parallax Forums

Resonant Low Pass Filter

PHXPHX Posts: 17
edited 2007-01-07 00:58 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I'm working on a waveform generator for a sound engine and would like to add a resonant low pass filter to it.
So far, I'm generating waveforms as unsigned 24bits integers (I'm using the same trick as the SID chip, with a phase accumulator to generate square, saw, ramp etc) at 48.1khz.

I found the following C function on www.musicdsp.org that looks straightforward.....in C !

Tdouble MoogVCF::run(double input, double fc, double res)
{
double f = fc * 1.16;
double fb = res * (1.0 - 0.15 * f * f);
input -= out4 * fb;
input *= 0.35013 * (f*f)*(f*f);
out1 = input + 0.3 * in1 + (1 - f) * out1; // Pole 1
in1 = input;
out2 = out1 + 0.3 * in2 + (1 - f) * out2; // Pole 2
in2 = out1;
out3 = out2 + 0.3 * in3 + (1 - f) * out3; // Pole 3
in3 = out2;
out4 = out3 + 0.3 * in4 + (1 - f) * out4; // Pole 4
in4 = out3;
return out4;
}

I'm struggling about how to implement this in assembly. Should I go with pseudo-real numbers, or with the exponent form (log/antilog table) ??
Thanks for your help !!

Richard

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-04 17:32
    Wow Richard. That's pretty complex stuff there.
    I think the best way to go about that is to break the C-code into smaller parts and code them in ASM from that.

Although that code simulates the Moog's Voltage Controlled Filter (Moog's was very bassy and had a lot of punch to it, My Arp Odyssey's VCF always was more tinny sounding and sharp)... I think the SID's was different and had only one pole.

I got the mos6581 datasheet at home so I don't know if I'm 100% correct or not.
    But from what I remember back in the day when I programmed on the c64, the filter only had one pole. So the code to simulate the C64's filter might be simpler.

--Andrew Arsenault
  • PHXPHX Posts: 17
    edited 2007-01-06 02:04
    Hi Andrew,

I do have the datasheet also, thanks for your proposal.
    Yes, you're right, it's more advanced than the SID's one but sonically much more appealing :-D...so that's somehow more motivating.
    Would you recommend pseudo-real (like 16bits integer-16bits decimal) or the exponent form using the log/antilog table ?
    Tks,

Richard
  • Fad ElectricFad Electric Posts: 9
    edited 2007-01-06 13:24
    Ym2413a said...
    ... I think the SID's was different and had only one pole.

I got the mos6581 datasheet at home so I don't know if I'm 100% correct or not.
    But from what I remember back in the day when I programmed on the c64, the filter only had one pole. So the code to simulate the C64's filter might be simpler.

--Andrew Arsenault

SID has a 2pole filer.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-01-07 00:58
    PHX said...
    Hi Andrew,

I do have the datasheet also, thanks for your proposal.
    Yes, you're right, it's more advanced than the SID's one but sonically much more appealing :-D...so that's somehow more motivating.
    Would you recommend pseudo-real (like 16bits integer-16bits decimal) or the exponent form using the log/antilog table ?
    Tks,

Richard

I've never used the tables so I'd start with the integer design. I'm not saying it would be better though.
    I havn't learn what is actally stored in those tables... other then the Boot-Rom and Sine-Rom.