Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TWO NEW Prop Adopt Boards: (1 )Prop I/O Voltage Leveler board (PIOVL), (2)Memor — Parallax Forums

TWO NEW Prop Adopt Boards: (1 )Prop I/O Voltage Leveler board (PIOVL), (2)Memor

IAI-CaptainIAI-Captain Posts: 33
edited 2007-01-05 21:11 in Propeller 1
Happy New Year! roll.gif

To All Interested Propeller Users:

· 1) I·am·designing·a PCB to·allow the 3 volt logic of the Propeller to interface directly without resistors·to· standard 5 volt TTL or 2.5 volt Cmos logic.

I call the board the: Propeller·I/O Voltage·Leveler board (PIOVL)

I have two different design Ideas for the board:

· A)· The board will have·thru-hole placement·for a Prop Stick·USB/ Ser,·Or·1 Propeller,·1· EEProm socket, 2 Thru-Hole/·SMD pads for pull up resistors for (SDL, SCL) , 4 Thru-Hole/·SMD·Pads for the Prop Reset button, 4 Thru-Hole/·SMD·Pads for programming with the PropPlug, PropClip,·or USB port.·It will come with the· 5volt·and 3.3volt LDO Regulators,

· B) The Board will just Interface directly as a daughter board to the new, (P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard). I think that this is what I'm going to try out first, (No Voltage Regulators On board).

· In ether case the··interface·is·simple. Each 8 bit port from the Propeller chip, as described Below, will·be connected ·to an 8bit·Unidirectional I/O bus, the direction can be controlled, as described below.

Four·of these Busses will·interface to the Prop's four 8 bit ports, (I.E. (Port·#1 = A0-A7), (Port #2 =· A8-A15), (Port #3·= A16-A23), ·& (Port #4 = A24-A31).)

Using jumpers in this prototype, (I will add digital logic·control at a later time),·you will be able to select the direction of each of the four ports individually.

·I.E. (Prop Port #1 output---> to an 8bit 5v Input to·on a·7400s IC), or Vise Versa, (A·7400s·ICs 8bit 5v Output --->·into Port #3 on the Prop), or the same only with 4000s IC Cmos 2.5V logic.

Using Jumpers you can also·select wether you want to have the your 3.3v Propeller talking to TTL 5volt or Cmos 2.5volt Logic.

·You can select any combination of port· directions and voltage translation for each of the four Propeller ports.

···· The reason for this board is a simple one: If you wanted to interface, Lets say, a 5 volt SRAM to the prop It would be a bit of a pain in the neck, to say the least. (when you consider all the resistors you·would have to use between the two ICs, if it would even work at all.)

This Design will make interfacing to, TTL, RTL, DTL, CMOS, PMOS, MOS, ROMs, PROMs, EPROMs, EEPROMs, RAMs, SRAMs, SDRAM, DDR-RAM,·Flash Memories, DACs, ADC, OP-Amps, Analog, Digital, and or any newer or older,·(Non 3.3 volt), IC a snap!

·This Board could also be used for any number of other projects. Like Interfacing directly to a Hard Drive or Flash Mem or any I/O·project that would need a true 5 volt I/O. long as it uses it in blocks of 8, 16, 24, 32·bits at a time.

· So, I have ordered the parts, (Should be here on Friday),·and I am running off some PCB prototypes tonight, (for the stand alone version (A): NOT the Q44 Protoboard ver(B)), ·hopefully I'll have a complete working proto·by Friday morning.·I won't be able to fully test it till·Saturday night, if all goes well. I'll use sockets for the dips ICs, but the four port ICs are SMD, SSOP 48 pins each, so it may take a bit of time to·solder them onto the board and test it. (I will post pictures and updates)

If this Proto version of the board works and any one else is interested, then I will·investigate·either making the daughter board that I described up above Version (B).

Or, I could·ReDesign the board, version (C),·but instead of·using·four·sets of·8bit ports,· it would work using Thirty Two 1bit ports·with control for each Individual port one bit·at a time, (a lot more ICs, time, and money), so this version will be off in the distant future.

··· 2) In conjunction with the (PIOVL)·Proto board I am working on an other Prototype for the Memory Interface. the two Boards will mate together like a mother and daughter board combo.

I call this second board the: Memory n Matrix Board (MnM)

· The basic design and layout of·the (MnM) PCB is for simple·interfacing of Parallel Memory IC Arrays·to the Propeller IC.

I.E. (I found some Older·SRAM·4 Mb (512K x 8bit) some are 5 volt others are 3.6 volt. I can imagine putting 16 ICs together onto this type of board and giving the propeller 8 MB of SRAM (Parallel IO)).

· That would have been sweet, But, Instead, Even though it cost a heck of a lot more for a heck of a lot less Memory! I Ordered·Four, Parallel FRAMs Ramtron Part#(FM20L08-60-TG), 4 x (1Mb = 128k x 8b) =·512K or 1/2 a MByte, that will also be here on Friday. smilewinkgrin.gif· If·this design·works then I will·add another 4 FRams for a total of 1MB of Parallel FRAM. The nice thing About FRAMs is the 3.3volt Logic. Direct connect to the Prop.

·Now, all that memory sounds great to have for my Propeller, but not If I have to hand wire·and breadboard all the connections including Pull up resistors and decoupling Capacitors for each one of the ICs in the array.

· So,·To avoid all the·headaches,·I think·an (MnM)·circuit board is in order!· I will make it compatible with the most common standard·for Memory IC pin outs, but generic enough to accept a wide variety,·and different types, of·Memory's. I think this will include the basics: Rom, Prom, EProm, EEProm, RAM, SRAM, and FRams.··It would have to be compatible with·all Memory ·ICs with an Address bus of A0-A16 or less, and a Data Bus 8bits wide.· I could make this board with an 8, 16, or 32 bit wide Data bus to interface to the·Propeller, (but I'll stick with 8bit (1byte wide·for now). I think for Multi IC, or Bank, addressing I will us an I2c 16:1 Mux for handling the (CE) for each chip. So all you have to do is load up the Address send the I2C command to select·and Enable the, bank of, IC/s·you want to access.·Then·select Read·and Load the data waiting on the Data bus into the Propeller, or Select Write·and place data from the propeller onto the Data bus, and in either case bring the (Clk) line High then Low will Latch the data into the IC at that Address.·This a basic sequence for Parallel Memory communication protocol.

The two PCBs, (PIOVL)(A)/(B)/(C),·and·(MnM), will mate together allowing for really large Arrays of RAM, SRAM, ect., at any TTL or CMOS Logic.

NOTE: I like to use SRAM, not DRAM. It's just easer to work with.

···3) I have a·third board that is in the·planning stages·it will be a Multi Propeller board.

I'm calling it the: Multi Propeller Matrix Board (MPM).

When completed it to will be compatible with the other boards, but for right now I'm kind of swamped·with the first two, so it will have to wait.

· I get a big smile when I·think of all the great Memories·the Propeller/s will have to keep forever with the use of these Two/three boards. Propellers, Robotics, and AIA, will never be the same! smilewinkgrin.gif

Power to the Props!·hop.gif

I am designing these Boards for my own Lab needs, but! If I see enough interest from other propeller users then I will see about getting·them mass produced and selling them for a small fee, in kit form.

Here is a breakdown of the boards that I'm currently working on or have planed for the near future:

1) Propeller·I/O Voltage·Leveler board (PIOVL)(A): Prototype ETA 07/01

··· And the Daughter Board version (PIOVLD)(B) for use with the new, (P8X32A-Q44 ProtoBoard): Prototype ETA 07/02

2) Memory Matrix Board (MnM), (with, I2C Addressing &·8 bit Parallel Data interface for Max speed!!!!): Prototype ETA 07/01

3) Multi Prop Matrix Board (MPM): Prototype ETA 07/NA

Let me know if You Are Interested or have any Questions or Ideas.

I will keep this·post as up to date as I can.

IAI Captain

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
IAI (Indigenous Alien Intelligence),
The New View on Machine Intelligence.
Because There is nothing Artificial about it!

Comments

• Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
    edited 2007-01-04 23:13
    Wonderfull !

I'm going to begin my 5v FRAM chip project this weekend. I've got to get some highspeed
    memory chips in place ASAP.

I've got a 16x16 ( (256) x3 (RGB)·768 LED's per) WatchFire Style LED matrix panel·comming out of fabracation very soon (1-2 weeks).

I'm going to need high speed memory ASAP so I can drive it from the Propeller chip.
    I will also be working on a spin object for it.

I still don't know whether to use the Propeller directly with flip-flops to drive the row/column lines
    or whether I should drive a PIC that drives flip-flops with the Propeller driving the PIC.

Ua... I've been really busy on design/fab & tooling. I need to focus on the Propeller,
    soon but it's been really tough, because I'm always hacking through allot of green stuff rolleyes.gif

Hopfully I'll be able to review all the 5v posts and get it working this weekend (in the rough)

I need the 5v board ASAP.

I also really need to do a web site.

Thanks,
    -Areal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I have a tree growing out of my head, but

what do you expect ? I'm a programmer.

Post Edited (Areal Person) : 1/5/2007 1:58:55 AM GMT
  • IAI-CaptainIAI-Captain Posts: 33
    edited 2007-01-05 14:42
    Just a quick update!

On the: Propeller·I/O Voltage·Leveler board (PIOVL)

Great news! jumpin.gif

1) As it turns out I only need to use two 48pin SSOP not the four as I first thought.·This will save a lot time,·money, and space on the PCB.

2) I have now determined that; I will be able to use the prop to control the four (PIOVL) ports instead of having to use manual jumpers, but this means a slight reconfiguration of the design.

·· 2a) I guess I can leave the jumpers in the design just in case you want to use it as a·set and forget it system. (Non active I/O control)

The difference is:

A) Now Prop,· (Port #4 = A24-A31),·will be used firstly to control the other three ports, (Port·#1 = A0-A7), (Port #2 =· A8-A15), (Port #3·= A16-A23),·and then secondly as·a (PIOVL) port. This arrangement is much like the one used by the Prop’s two lines used for the I2C EEPorm, they serve a dual purpose. (I hope that this will be the way it·works out.)

B) The·three remaining·(PIOVL) ports can be controlled through the Propeller on Port#4, by either the Prop, or an outside source, but it needs to be at 3.3volt logic. (I hope that this will be the way·this·works out, as well.)

C) I may consider the dedication of Prop Port #4 to make dedicated Propeller lines to allow for outside·control·of the·other ports, and·I/O memory·control, it would leave the two lines used for the Propeller's I2C EEProm in tact, as well. (Yes, I think that this would be best.)

·· The changes mean that The Prop will be able to have a nice Bidirectional 16bit Address, and·8bit Data bus. Along with dedicated standard memory control lines, (CE), (W/R), (OE), ect...·· (Just perfect for Parallel Memory interfacing.)

I will start the PCB design at some point today. After the parts arrive, should be around 12:00pm EST.

·· The Layout software that·I like to use does not have parts that are SMD, at least not in this version, I’ve got to upgrade, ($$$). So, I have to draw each pad on each SMD by hand. What a pain, in the butt, from sitting on it to much! smilewinkgrin.gif

·· On the Up side I have complete control over the finest detail and I can turn layout designs into finished PCB prototype in about 30min and make corrections as needed and then run off another one.··

··· The key to this is printing out the·PCB Traces on to special LASER transfer paper and then Heat transferring·the printout·to the copper clad board. This system works really well,·if all you want is to get fast results good for prototyping only,·but for mass production·I will still need to go to an outside PCB house.

····I have·learned·I need the right Software to make it happen. The free software that is supplied by most PCB houses, at least the ones that I have tried,·did not allow me to directly print out my layout designs directly. Most free software would force you to upload to them only and had no options for any·kind of·printout, never mind 1:1. Using this method I can work with SMDs but I can’t make my own prototypes in house. mad.gif

If anyone knows of·good software with a full complement of SMD·parts and 1:1 printout capabilities, please let me know. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

IAI Captainscool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • IAI-CaptainIAI-Captain Posts: 33
    edited 2007-01-05 21:11
    Hey, Another hour, Another update!!

Well, the Parts arrived on time. That's the good news! turn.gif
    ········ And, The·bad news is!
    ·I ordered the wrong part# I got TSOP instead of SSOP.·they are quite a bit smaller and harder to work with.
    I'll have to rework my pad designs. (It's the fin pitch soldering that is going to be a·pain.)·
    So when I was checking out my bumble through the Mouser web site I stumbled across these sweet babes.

Made by: Texas Instruments
    · It is a four bit, Bidirectional Voltage-Level Translator with Auto direction sensing. Perfect! just what I originally wanted in·8bits.· So, any work that I would do using the 4bit parts would mean that I would have to use twice as many ICs to make up the 8bits on four prop ports.

The nice thing is that I would no longer have to eliminate· (Port #4 = A24-A31).
    So, now I can go back to my original plans.
    ·
    · I'm going to order enough to make a few versions of the·(PIOVL),with auto directional I/O. I wish that I had seen these ICs first, oh well.
    I will still use the current·ICs for dedicated Unidirectional 8bit ports.
    I'll see what happens on Tuesday when the new parts arrive!
    Maybe a mixed Port (PIOVLwAD)board, Version (D)

Have a good weekend to all,
    IAI-Captain scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔