Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vista SideShow Gadget — Parallax Forums

Vista SideShow Gadget

mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
edited 2006-12-26 22:02 in Propeller 1
With the release of Vista, Microsoft has introduced a new concept called sideshow gadgets.· The idea is that you have a small external hardware device that may have a screen, memory, some interface devices (buttons, touch screen etc), and of course it's own cpu.· This external device recieves information from the OS and displays the information out of process from the main OS.· For instance, a small screen with memory and its own power might be attached to the outside case of a computer, or a small mp3 player may be temporarily attached and then detached.· These devices are used to display and potentially interact with some data, then later the information can be synched back up with the main computer's version.·· So, for instance, you might have an email program that·can·publish·your newest emails to the sideshow device.· Maybe the device can display the information and allow some amount of interactivity.· Then when the computer is connected, this new information is transmitted back to the email program.· Here is a link to an msdn article on the topic... http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/07/01/SideShow/

So, I wonder if anyone has interest in developing a side show application for the propeller?· I've been batting the idea around.· It should be challenging, but we may end up with a device that has some market potential once Vista hits the streets in January.· (NOTE: If you have msdn, you can already download and install Vista).· Anyway, this idea is in the formative stages for me right now.· Is anyone else interested in working on this?

Post Edited (mcstar) : 12/26/2006 10:05:09 PM GMT

Comments