Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Hydra eeprom — Parallax Forums

Using Hydra eeprom

El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
edited 2006-12-22 01:35 in Propeller 1
Andre',

In the bunch of examples that came with the Hydra is any program that uses the beyond the 32k space (between 32k and 128k) used by the Propeller?

Could you give a hint of how to address that space?.

I appreciated this very much.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-21 20:11
    I believe the Propeller OS is the only program that currently will use the extra memory on the Hydra. It has I2C read/write drivers (in SPIN/assembly) in the object module "OS_loaderInit" that can be used by themselves to read, write, and load SPIN programs from the extra memory. There is also an I2C object (in the Object Exchange) written in SPIN that provides for reading and writing of the extra EEPROM space.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-12-22 00:14
    I know after all this holiday stuff is over, I'm going to play around with using the upper parts of the Hydra cart to swap pages of memory in and out of the HUB-RAM for tilemaps and sound data. It should be FUN! ^^
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-12-22 01:35
    Also, with the Hydra book there are examples that use this memory and programs to read/write anywhere on the eeprom, this is what you would use to talk to it. However, we have also developed an application that will be released soon that you can use to graphically drag files onto the eeprom and then write them in there. So you can for example, write a game that uses 32K image, then put bitmaps, sounds, etc. into the upper 96, then drag it all onto the hydra using a C# app. Then your hydra app still needs to know how to access the eeprom, thus you have to write eeprom read/write functions, but they are 50-100 lines of code and not hard.

That's it, pretty basic, but lots of details to implement.

Andre'
    ·