Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Minimum deskspace demoboard solution — Parallax Forums

Minimum deskspace demoboard solution

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2006-12-21 00:03 in Propeller 1
This is my new demoboard rig, its smaller and better than my old one and takes up no space on my desk, it also runs from a single 12v supply. The screen was stripped down as per my recent thread and then mounted in the simple MDF box. Its just three pieces of wood and a few screws, I discovered that matt black spray paint puts a great finish on MDF in seconds and dries almost as quickly. At the moment the 5v for the screen is comming off the demoboard in future it will have its own LDO regulator.

Graham

attachment.php?attachmentid=44652
attachment.php?attachmentid=44653
attachment.php?attachmentid=44654

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-12-16 23:10
    Graham,

That's a compact, attractive 'packaging' job. I've been reading all the posts on the heat reduction tasks. LCD might be low power, but doesn't emit light as does a CRT. So gotta have those LEDs sucking power for the light output.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-17 02:47
    Indeed but now slightly less power
  • Jim CJim C Posts: 76
    edited 2006-12-19 03:05
    Graham:

Nice design. I like it alot.

Have you built a top for the box, to make it easily transportable?

Jim C
    edited 2006-12-19 10:34
    Jim, the box will go inside another box along with the other bits and bobs required, 12V battery, wall-wart, mouse etc etc. But if I had made the thing a little bigger I guess I could have made a matching half that would act as a lid making it look like a cube when closed.

Actually I suspect some watch/jewlery cases might be big enough to be ready made portable systems.

I've pretty much finished a larger version for use with a solder-less breadboard or the soon to be released project boards, that one has a 7" screen, will post that soon.

Graham
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-12-19 21:03
    It's a hand-held propeller system. (lol)
    I like it!
    edited 2006-12-20 12:43
    It was tempting to paint it white, the prop-pod

The larger unit is finished, I'm very pleased with it but my internets were not working at home last night so it will have to wait until tonight for posting pics.

Graham
    edited 2006-12-20 23:23
    Look ma, no wires

Now looking a lot smarter, the LCD is getting its 5v from a regulator under the hood and the power and video connections to the demoboard are made on the bottom of the PCB.

Yep, I'm finally ready for the Christmas holidays!

Graham

attachment.php?attachmentid=44696
    576 x 600 - 78K
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-12-20 23:43
    How do I get one of those little green LEDs by the power switch? My revision C demoboard doesn't have one.

By the way, awesome work there. How did you make the connections on the bottom of the PC? Did you just
    solder wires to the pads, or did you put on headers or something?
    edited 2006-12-21 00:03
    I don't know what revision mine is but it does look nice in the picture.

I just soldered wires to the pads, they are huge so no problems there, make the holes in the box nice and big to make alignment easy.

Graham