Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Text errors help — Parallax Forums

Text errors help

Gizmo_Gizmo_ Posts: 5
edited 2006-12-07 17:23 in Propeller 1
hi,
Im a student running the propeller program in my engineering class and i am having some difficulty reading the text

For some un-explained reason the text in the propeller tool editor program is cutting off letters and adding spaces in-between the letters, My operating system is Windows xp professional and weve had this problem on more than one computer, And i was wondering if anybody else has encounterd this problem and has found a solution.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-11-30 18:33
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Does the computer have large fonts enabled?· Are you using a non-english version of Windows XP?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2006-11-30 18:38
    Hi,

So far, we've only seen this happen in the Japanese edition of Windows XP but haven't heard of it happening in any other version.· As of this time, we are unsure how to fix it but we do know that upon the Propeller Tool "asking" the OS for the Parallax font (a font that is installed with the Tool), the OS returns the metrics of the Parallax font, but returns the glyphs of the Courier font (or some similar font).· The results are letters that are truncated and overlapping.

Are you using a special localized version of Windows XP Professional?·

Do you have any OS-level preferences set that may apply to this?· Such as localized "regional" settings?

What version of the Propeller Tool are you using?

Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Gizmo_Gizmo_ Posts: 5
    edited 2006-11-30 19:05
    We are using a stand alone system, with windows xp professional 2002 with service pack 2 installed
    And we are running Version 1.0 of the Propeller tool
    edited 2006-11-30 19:10
    Please post a screen shot of the display.

Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-06 17:51
    Heres a screenshot of the program blinker2.spin program that can be found on page 124 of the spin manual.

Notice how DIRA is squished together at the beginning of the main block.
    1152 x 864 - 127K
    edited 2006-12-06 20:01
    Hi Gizmo,

Okay, that looks just like what we've seen happen with the Japanese edition of Windows. We have not been able to duplicate the problem using the English version with Japanese regional settings. Unfortunately, we are not sure what is causing the problem at this point and we need to do more research into the matter.

Here's something to try:

Go to your Windows/Fonts folder and see if a font called "Parallax.ttf" is in there. If it isn't, that is one potential problem. If it is, please make sure the Propeller Tool software is not running, then delete the Parallax.ttf font from the Windows/Fonts folder, then start the Propeller Tool again. The Propeller Tool automatically installs it (if possible).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-07 17:23
    Thanks a bunch! That fixed my problem! Surprised i didnt think of a soultion that simple...haha

Thanks for the help and good luck!