Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FTDI at Parallax to show Vinculum — Parallax Forums

FTDI at Parallax to show Vinculum

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2006-12-06 18:11 in Propeller 1
Hello Prop Users,

Since there was so much activity on this forum about the new Vinculum chip, we invited the FTDI guys to Parallax to ask them a bunch of questions. Paul Baker and Chris Savage are now equipped with DLP Design's prototype tools and hope to contribute code in the short-term future.

Here are some FTDI guys with Parallax:

attachment.php?attachmentid=44479

Ken Gracey (Parallax), Fred Dart (FTDI-Scotland), Bob Recny (FTDI-Oregon), Jim Kenney (FTDI-Oregon), Chip Gracey (Parallax), and Paul Baker (Parallax).

Neat folks with a new·chip!

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-05 22:06
    Excellent, I've got a Vinculum dip module and am hoping to try it out over Christmas great to know I'm not the only one!

Graham
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2006-12-06 01:25
    Hi guys !!

Since I read in this forum about Vinculum chip, I was waiting for Parallax, to·announce them in stock.

Because it's cheaper for me in Argentina to get it through Parallax.

I'm ·waiting for VDIP1 and for VDRIVE1 and VMUSIC1, Those look great moduls !! jumpin.gif

As a simple question.....

Is·it·possible to interface (ie.) the VMUSIC1 module,·to a USB hard disk adapter (USB box with a HD inside) and drive the VMUSIC1 chip with a propeller to get an stand alone mp3 player plus display ???

What about the FAT16-32 interface ??

And what about the necessary speed, to get read the data for manage the system?

Thanks so much

And...Parallax...please !! put vinculum chips in your stock.

Regards.

Alberto.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-12-06 02:02
    I almost didn't recognize Paul without a tie! The East-to-West coast conversion looks complete now! smile.gif

-Phil
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2006-12-06 03:19
    Well this chip should satisfy the guys asking for usb keyboard and mouse support
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-12-06 03:23
    I didn't follow any previous discussions on this chip, but it seems to satify a WHOLE host of needs beyond keyboard/mouse, including mass memory since it can be a USB host for flash drives and alot of other high end devices!

Very nice,
    Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-06 04:51
    Although it does have both serial and SPI interfacing, they've said they will eventually support I2C as well. That will be nice with the Propeller since it can be piggybacked on the EEPROM pins and the same basic driver can be used.
  • Simon AmplemanSimon Ampleman Posts: 19
    edited 2006-12-06 15:35
    I bought the VDIP1 and VDRIVE1 two weeks ago... I suggest more VDIP1 than VDRIVE1 because VDIP1 is a more general device with all pins accessible. The VDRIVE1 only have a two pins serial or SPI interface (jumper selected) to a mass memory. I did not like the VMUSIC one because everything is done for you... it's like connecting the propeller to play button of a mp3 player. I prefer doing it myself to understand how the system works.

I will make the propeller object to drive them probably this weekend or next week and post my experimentation.

Simon
    edited 2006-12-06 17:47
    The Vdrive looks the best for intergratring into something, its going to be on the front panel of my wire EDM machine. I think I saw a mention of a Vdrive2 on the site, that was supposd to be chassis mount which would be even better for me.

Graham
    edited 2006-12-06 18:03
    And to FTDI if you are reading:

"Vinculum Demo Designs, Programming Tools and Software will be available on this page from September 2006"

according to your site
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-06 18:11
    Vdrive2 will not be availible for a little while yet.

Phil, I noticed Im even slouching in the pic, guess I really am a west coaster now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.