Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DVI video — Parallax Forums

DVI video

hellosethhelloseth Posts: 43
edited 2006-12-01 21:23 in Propeller 1
I know that the Prop can do VGA video, but the world is moving to digital video.· Even the TV mode will become deprecated in a few more years, once analog TV goes dark.

Is is possible to simply drive a DVI-D monitor?· I presume the prop can't do it directly.· But I know nothing about DVI-D.

Seth

Comments

• GreyBox TimGreyBox Tim Posts: 60
    edited 2006-11-30 05:16
    Hello Seth,

You'll need to have a very high speed parallel bus to drive common DVI (and inclusively HDMI) transmitter chips. The MINIMUM pixel rate supported by DVI is 25.175MHz for a 640x480@60Hz (basically VESA "VGA") picture. To fully utilize the pixel bit depth you'll need a 24-bit RGB bus for pixel levels, and you'll also need to generate the Horizontal and Vertical clocks and DE (data enable) signals to correctly parse the frame.

By "pixel repetition" and "line repetition", you should be able to do a 320x240@60Hz image - but you'll need a ton of RAM to hold an individual line of picture info. If you only use a few of the MSBs for the output signal you could do say a 320x240@60Hz image at 6-bit color depth (2-bit per color about what Windows 3.0 could do - about 63 colors plus black). Each line's active pixels would require 60 (32-bit) Longs (very memory hungry) - and you'd probably need two cogs to manage the whole frame's pixel memory, and the clock generation.

This is all academic though - most DVI/HDMI manufacturers will not sell chips to hobbyists because of HDCP (super annoying – but highly secretive and generally accepted video encryption standard). “They” don’t want the programming manuals for these chips to leak onto the open market – as it would take the challenge out of breaking HDCP for content pirates.

I had once asked the guys at Parallax if they’d consider adding a BT.656 video bus output to the video generator – as a great many analog and digital video encoders accept this format, and it would be easy to “hack” a device that is correctly driving VGA out over a DVI interface – or SDI (serial digital), Component (YPbPr), S-Video, or Composite (etc.). I think it’s a bit beyond what they had planned on doing for the integrated video generator… lol.gif

Cheers!

-Tim

P.S. My day job is Senior Test Engineer for Anchor Bay Technologies, Inc./DVDO (we make video scalers and chips). -Tim

Post Edited (GreyBox Tim) : 11/30/2006 5:20:26 AM GMT
  • hellosethhelloseth Posts: 43
    edited 2006-11-30 15:16
    GreyBox Tim said...
    This is all academic though - most DVI/HDMI manufacturers will not sell chips to hobbyists because of HDCP (super annoying – but highly secretive and generally accepted video encryption standard). “They” don’t want the programming manuals for these chips to leak onto the open market – as it would take the challenge out of breaking HDCP for content pirates.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I'm new to h/w. I've been programming software for 25+ years, but got and electronics itch.

My question was mainly looking to the future. I get Circuit Cellar and other such magazines, and they have articles re-visiting video generation projects from 20 years ago. The old methods still work, but they update to new MCU's.

But I would expect that 5 years from now, you will have to pay extra for analog input to monitors and maybe even TV's. Or worse still, show ebay for them.

As I understand the HDCP, DVI/hdmi doesn't require it, but can work with it. So a monitor with a DVI/HDMI+HDCP would still be able to display a non-hdcp datastream.

BUT, the existing DVI/HDMI chips all have HDCP features and thus come with lengthy NDA's. So, you can't get there from here.

But, I can take the train (which someone else is driving. Someone with access to the chips and NDA's) ... Someone will need to make a "converter" board which would take a simpler signal and drive a DVI/HDMI display. (Much like there are boards to drive LCD screens from a serial signal.)

Is this correct?

Thanks for your insight.

Seth
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-11-30 16:53
    helloseth said...
    But I would expect that 5 years from now, you will have to pay extra for analog input to monitors and maybe even TV's. Or worse still, show ebay for them.

Want to bet?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-11-30 17:14
    How far do you all think this 'protected' technology will go? Will there come a day when all computer monitors, as a rule, use encrypted streaming? Will nobody manufacture analog-input monitors anymore?
    Bergamot said...
    helloseth said...

Want to bet?
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-11-30 18:23
    Bergamot said...
    helloseth said...

Want to bet?

I don't bet on anything, but look at printers. Dot-matrix printers are still made, but for a very,very niche market. (Multi-part form printing). If you price them, a new okidata dot matrix printer runs more than some color laser printers.

Also look at cameras. Film camera still exist but more and more companies are moving their products to pure digital. Soon, film is for the artsey crowd alone.
    Can you go to Circuit City and find a nice tube amplifier for you new-fangled hi-fi system?
    How about a turn-table? Sure they are still made, but very small niche. Low selection/high prices.

What is the future for NTSC signals once the analog spectrum goes dark? New camcorders will be full digital soon.
    edited 2006-11-30 18:26
    Chip Gracey (Parallax) said...
    How far do you all think this 'protected' technology will go? Will there come a day when all computer monitors, as a rule, use encrypted streaming? Will nobody manufacture analog-input monitors anymore?

I know if the media companies would love to close the 'analog hole'.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-30 18:36
    Although analog outputs may disappear from home entertainment devices at the behest of Hollywood and their minions in Congress, analog inputs will be there for a long time to come. One thing that will keep them alive is the security/surveillance market which, unfortunately (on so many levels), is huge and growing. When you can buy a tiny video camera for $9.99 and send a signal over a cheap, skinny two-conductor cable for hundreds of feet, you've got a peripheral that the TV/monitor/recorder manufacturers can't ignore.

-Phil
    edited 2006-11-30 19:14
    Hey - expect to see HDMI outputs on PC video-cards and motherboards·beginning Q1 of 2007 (with HDCP).· This is due to HD-DVD in computers and the (in my opinion) completely unrestrained grasp of the Hollywood and RIA attourneys (sometimes I wish I could just slap them all silly eyes.gif).

As for RGBHV, there is a fairly large movement·to replace RGBHV with·a new connection called "Display-Port" (digital, and this is being advocated by VESA).· And guess what - it'll have HDCP too shakehead.gif.

Completely agree that analog video is going nowhere yet.· "Analog Hole" my >>a..<< that's just a catch phrase to make the idea of cutting it off easier for stupid people to accept ("a hole is bad - we should plug it! And let's plug it with something digital, because digital is better than analog!" - Aren't we all such obedient sheep, Baaaaa rolleyes.gif).· It's easy to show that a 9-12" 3-gun CRT projector will give you a better picture than any current digital dispaly (even that really expensive Sony Digital cinema projector @ 4Kx2K pixels).

And·digital CCTV surveilance is picking up some clout.· Having a camera internally encode an MPEG4 stream, then encrypting it so it can't be hijacked, and transmitting it over a shared data bus (for cable count/infrastructure reduction) - has been looked at by most of the big players (Pelco, Sony, Hitachi, Honeywell...).· It just makes sense to go digital there too - less space for the same information, instant data archival with non-record-interrupting footage review, and there are a lot of motion detection related components to the MPEG compression scheme which are attractive to be leveraged for security.· By the way, any current CCTV installations are getting LCDs attached to computers, not the old CRT connected to a time-lapse VCR cry.gif·(although this was initially done to reduce the rack space needed for a monitoring console and power draw reduction - I'd just about guarantee that once they have a chance to encrypt the data between the server and the console, they'll jump at it).

While HDCP may not be enabled on DVI outputs - all of the commonly available DVI chips over the last five years do have the functionality of HDCP in the logic.· Yes, you may be able to convince "them" to sell you a batch (100+, not one or two, unless you order a development board and re-work it), but it's not cheap ($10K+ for the parts and then there are licensing agreements too $$$$$).· Thrust me - it's not yet easy to do if you are a tiny start-up or hobbyist.

It may be interesting to embed an HDMI·TMDS trasmitter in the core of a Propeller (I'm just kidding about this Parallax!)...

Bergamot said...
    helloseth said...

Want to bet?
    Post Edited (GreyBox Tim) : 11/30/2006 7:24:46 PM GMT
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-11-30 19:48
    GreyBox Tim said...

It may be interesting to embed an HDMI·TMDS trasmitter in the core of a Propeller (I'm just kidding about this Parallax!)...

What do you mean?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-01 00:25
    GreyBox Tim said...
    It's easy to show that a 9-12" 3-gun CRT projector will give you a better picture than any current digital dispaly (even that really expensive Sony Digital cinema projector @ 4Kx2K pixels).

How much is a new 3-gun CRT projector? Is it 200 or 300 lbs? freaked.gif
    edited 2006-12-01 21:17
    Which part - the "just kidding" or the HDMI TMDS transmitter?

An HDMI transmitter which only outputs 480p or 576p would be kind of complicated to add to a Propeller core·- you'd need to have some basic support for differential signaling (the "DS" in TMDS, and active line equalization depending on the version of HDMI you use).· Plus there's EDID stiff that needs to be supported, and possibly InfoFrames (AVI at least for HDMI, then audio, MPEG, Config, Etc.), Hot-plug detection, down-stream device detection, etc., etc...

It's not something I'd expect to see in a hobyist component (or even an ARM9 for that matter).

-Tim
    GreyBox Tim said...

What do you mean?

Post Edited (GreyBox Tim) : 12/1/2006 9:26:00 PM GMT
    edited 2006-12-01 21:23
    To be fair, a 12" CRT projecor from Barco (Reality 912 [noparse][[/noparse]which I think has just been discontinued, the 909 would be the next best thing], for large screen virtual reality or flight simulator use) is about $125K (US) - but, a 3-DLP projector from Runco (Signature Cinema™ SC-1, about parity on brightness and signal quality/max resolution) is currently $250K (US).· They weigh about the same (in the neighborhood of 100-175lbs).

The issue is that a digital imager only has one resolution, while a CRT has an·"analog" phosphor mesh - so it can do many different resolutions without any fancy lens mechanicals (like Runco's "Cinewide" add-on).

-Tim
    helloseth said...
    GreyBox Tim said...
    It's easy to show that a 9-12" 3-gun CRT projector will give you a better picture than any current digital dispaly (even that really expensive Sony Digital cinema projector @ 4Kx2K pixels).

How much is a new 3-gun CRT projector? Is it 200 or 300 lbs? freaked.gif
    Post Edited (GreyBox Tim) : 12/1/2006 9:30:33 PM GMT