Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I2c and SD/MMC cards — Parallax Forums

I2c and SD/MMC cards

BTXBTX Posts: 674
edited 2006-10-15 23:02 in Propeller 1
Dear People.
Sorry for my question, but like you know, I'm begginer using this chip.
I need to·save data in a 64Kb I2C eeprom, is there any routine to do it ?, or I must do it by myself ?, I was using a BS2P for a project, and to pass the BS2P code to the propeller spin,·I'm having many difficults, a I2CIN // I2COUT routine could be great.
Another point for me, is to save, about 128-256 Mb of data into a SD or MMC card...is there any code library/object for that ??.
I dont understand...why... there is not a generic·I2C Object/driver to do it, in the examples folder....perhaps I'm not understanding something "more" in propeller manual ?
As a suggest...a very usefull pack (for me ) of routines, could be I2C, ADC, DAC, Standard LCD's 4/8 bits control, etc. etc. (Not only some BS2 commands)

Thanks so much in advance, and congratulations to the Team propeller chip !!, it seems to be a very powerfull, and interesting microcontroller.

Alberto.
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-14 23:40
    There is a generic I2C driver in the Propeller Object Exchange that includes routines to read or write blocks of data from/to EEPROM. Also, there's a portion of my "Propeller OS" that includes a high speed I2C driver and can be used independently from the rest of the package (OS_loaderInit).

There are SPI routines for reading from an SD/MMC card, but no write routines yet. The problem is the complexity of managing the FAT file structure so that it remains compatible with PC use. There are several manufacturers of external co-processors with all necessary support for full FAT file system support. GHI Electronics is one such company. These modules communicate serially via I2C, SPI, or asynchronous serial connections. Rogue Robotics also makes a co-processor for SD/MMC cards and Hitt Consulting has a simple MMC interface for data logging. I've used all three. I'm currently experimenting with GHI's uALFAT-SD OEM board.
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-10-15 00:18
    Alberto said...
    Dear People.
    Sorry for my question, but like you know, I'm begginer using this chip.
    I need to·save data in a 64Kb I2C eeprom, is there any routine to do it ?, or I must do it by myself ?, I was using a BS2P for a project, and to pass the BS2P code to the propeller spin,·I'm having many difficults, a I2CIN // I2COUT routine could be great.
    Another point for me, is to save, about 128-256 Mb of data into a SD or MMC card...is there any code library/object for that ??.
    I dont understand...why... there is not a generic·I2C Object/driver to do it, in the examples folder....perhaps I'm not understanding something "more" in propeller manual ?
    As a suggest...a very usefull pack (for me ) of routines, could be I2C, ADC, DAC, Standard LCD's 4/8 bits control, etc. etc. (Not only some BS2 commands)

Thanks so much in advance, and congratulations to the Team propeller chip !!, it seems to be a very powerfull, and interesting microcontroller.
    As Mike stated there is an object exchange here:http://ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

There is a Basic Stamp object that contains most of the standard PBasic commands.....but not all of them.

It will take a while, but you will find this chip is so powerful....you will want to include it in your projects. I won't say you will totally switch from the stamps....they are powerful in their own right.

Just study what is included in the objects that you download...try some things then ask when they don't work. These guys will help you out....if you put forth effort.

Mike has helped me a lot. So has many others.

Just take your time and read.......it is hard to learn something new.....but well worth it.

James L
  • acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-10-15 00:24
    Sparkfun has a couple of very attractive alternatives ...
    www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7955
    www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=752

Post Edited (acantostega) : 10/15/2006 1:39:00 AM GMT
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2006-10-15 23:02
    Thank you all, for your help.
    Alberto.