Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New PropStick Trouble — Parallax Forums

New PropStick Trouble

Trevor NederlofTrevor Nederlof Posts: 2
edited 2006-10-06 02:13 in Propeller 1
After learning some of the prelimary code, I attempted to connect my propstick to my laptop's COM port, but all I get is an error saying that there no device in the COM port. I'm using a standard nine volt connected to the propstick and have tried varying the voltage with no success. I know that my COM port is not the problem since the Prop tool recognizes it's there. Also, I've used my COM port successfully when downloading programs to my BS2E. Is there anything that anyone could recommend to correct this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2006-10-04 01:42
    Trevor Nederlof

I had the same problem with my laptop
    ·sometime it will do the same thing with the BS2 and the propstick
    The problem is laptop changes the com port from 4· to 2 or 3 and will not work on these port and have to change it back to 4
    the other problem is unless your serial cable is in all the way in the· USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter·it will not work
    I know when·this is the problem the·mouse pointer will move all over the screan and will not stop moving

I do not know if this will help you or not but this has happen to me so i thought i would share it with you

Sam
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-10-04 02:06
    Trevor,
    When I had this problem, I had a loose solder on the DB9. Did you ensure that all 9 pins are soldered well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot

http://fstop.crosscity.com/
    http://icar.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • janbjanb Posts: 74
    edited 2006-10-04 08:59
    Hi,

if it still does not work verify both·serial·input and output lines are working.

It happend to me, cost me whole afternoon to find out Rx line was dead·but Tx was working.

You can tray·it with Minicom.

Connect piezzo beeper·to Tx and type anything - should click each time. Once you know Tx is working

you·verify Rx - just short it to Tx. You should see characters you typ in (if echo is one· each should be double now).

If you have another PC - try talk to your Propeller from it.

With two PC one can do much more to debug it.

Hope it hepls

Jan
  • Capn_DaveCapn_Dave Posts: 20
    edited 2006-10-06 02:13
    I use the propstick on an 8 port serial card on a pc and it always finds the propeller no matter what port I am connected to, unless the port is being used by another program (Procomm, HyperTerminal etc.). An associtate has had problems once is a great while when using a USB to serial adapter, he just presses F11 again and it works.
    Make sure no other program is using that port ( you need to close the program after communicating to your PropStick) before reprogramming the PropStick.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Caught in the PropWash