Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any word on utility to update your program without using the prop tool? — Parallax Forums

Any word on utility to update your program without using the prop tool?

sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
edited 2006-09-26 17:05 in Propeller 1
Just wondering if there was any word on whether we will be able to update the programs in our device without using the propeller tool...· There was some discussion about it a couple of months ago.. I am still extremely anxious for this ability!

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-09-24 06:10
    Well I know you can use Mike's OS to do some really neat tricks with EEPROMs for if you don't have a PC anywhere around.
    Also the propeller tool can export raw binary files of your project as well. I'm thinking that any EEPROM programmer like Pony Prog could be used to load projects into the EEPROMs as well.

(btw) you can also compile your SPIN projects into a binary file. That way they are closed source and can only be programmed into the Propeller.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-24 07:07
    Chip released an object a while ago that has one Propeller programming another.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-09-24 09:10
    I was actually referring to the utility Jeff Martin mentioned here ---- http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=140524
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-09-24 15:43
    Yeah, I'd like to see this ability too. I mean, if we want to produce commercial products with the PChip we MUST have some way for the end user to upgrade firmware in the field...

Jeff Martin hinted that he was looking at producing something, but it's all gone a bit quiet :-(

Chip agreed that his PChip-to-PChip loader contains enough info' for a bright spark to gather how to program this, but I'm afraid it's well beyond my abilitues :-(

Anyone care to create this for the PC?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2006-09-24 19:00
    Jeff is very busy working on v1.0 of the IDE as well as sitting on a jury that will take a while. When I see him again I'll ask if it's still on his to-do list, and I'll report back. Given the nature of the situation, I wont be able to provide any timeframe.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-24 20:28
    Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated!
    edited 2006-09-25 11:45
    No prob's Paul, it's not my top priority at the moment, but can see it being so in about 3-4 months (hopefully!).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-09-25 18:33
    I was actually referring to the utility Jeff Martin mentioned here ---- http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=601314

if i remember right , in that area, i did suggest a solution, specificly returning eproms and reburning them, then installing..

true this would only be a stopgap measure, but for years thats what you would do to desktop computers if you needed to change the bios.. then they decided that the enduser could reflash thier own.

but using a seperate eeprom with a ziff socket, and running F8 versus F-10 would be a solution for right now

dan
    edited 2006-09-26 01:21
    Not interested in that method sawmiller, thanks. I'm looking at producing a product for the public and want the update to be easy for the end user(non-tech savvy people- who will also have no ability to open the device without destroying it).
    edited 2006-09-26 16:28
    I've spoken with Jeff and yes the object loader is on the list.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-26 17:05
    Yay smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon