Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A quick surface mount adapter — Parallax Forums

A quick surface mount adapter

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2006-09-21 14:20 in Propeller 1
This is something I did recently when I wanted to breadboard some surface mount chips without firing up my mill or etch tank.

Take some multi-core hook up wire and remove a few strands of wire. Tin and then solder these carefully to the legs of the surface mount device. Fill the sockets of a DIL chip socket with solder, solder the chip in place and trim the wires. Add a label if you want.

Not original I'm sure but with some much stuff in SMT format these days I thought someone might find it useful.

Graham

p.s. I soldered my chip in the wrong way around (doh!) but the label makes it OK

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-09-16 11:30
    I don't think I've ever seen this approach. The leads are spread out some and that gives a bit more room to work. I've been avoiding surface mount stuff, but this actually looks like something I could do. I really need to get a better soldering iron though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-09-16 14:03
    Ah yes, I bend the leads out a little also, you don't have to do that but it can help. BUT be careful to bend only once as bending right at the package back and forth can cause a leg to fall off. If you don't bend them just consider straightening them.

Graham
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-18 17:41
    I believe the technique is called dead-bugging since the end result looks like a mounted dead bug.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-09-19 12:52
    Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, and little fleas have lesser fleas, and so on ad infinitum

That with bugs [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-09-19 18:01
    LOL@Graham...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2006-09-19 18:36
    In the old style of dead bug, the DIP package is upside down, glued to a ground plane with legs sticking up in the air. Wiring was point to point with short lengths of wire. This is not simply to be cheap, but to minimize leakage and dielectric effects and stray wiring to a minimum. Now the bugs are ever smaller, those fleas!

Did you see the research on Egyptian Cataglyph ants, where the researcher was interested in how they measured the distance to their nest? They find the direction by the sun, but apparently they count strides to measure distance. The researcher fount that ants with stilts glued to each leg overshot the nest proprotionally.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-09-19 18:46
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    I believe the technique is called dead-bugging since the end result looks like a mounted dead bug.

The only dead bugs I've ever seen are under my desk! (j/k)
    But no really, I always used what they call Surfboards. They're small surface mount breadboards that map all pins to something with a DIP spacing. They are more costly, but very clean in the end.
    --Andrew Arsenault
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-09-20 13:01
    As long at it doesn't look like the Dead Cockroach from the Sinclair ZX Spectrum...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-09-20 14:15
    speaking of "Sinclair ZX Spectrum"

Back in 1983, my mother bought me one of these puppies - she got us the ""Sinclair ZX Spectrum +" (the larger kind).

I started my computer geek career w/ it programming away w/ ROM-BASIC - and after so many years, I still have that in my office - framed up.

I love that home computer.

Nagi

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot

http://fstop.crosscity.com/
    http://icar.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-20 23:58
    There was a lengthy thread some time ago talking about the classics, such as the Timex Sinclair, the Altair, the Kaypro, VIC-20, C=64, etc...Oldd-School Hackers was the name of the thread.· Have a look.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=464494

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-21 02:36
    In thirty years people will be adding the Propeller to the thread...
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-09-21 12:19
    Kevin Wood said...
    In thirty years people will be adding the Propeller to the thread...

With the talent at Parallax, it could even be 3 years......
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-09-21 14:20
    Paul Sr. said...

With the talent at Parallax, it could even be 3 years......

That's true. Who knows what crazy propeller chips they'll have in 3 years.
    It would be like comparing the Basic Stamp to the Basic Stamp II.
    lol.gif