Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC interpreter for propeller? — Parallax Forums

BASIC interpreter for propeller?

BinaryweaverBinaryweaver Posts: 1
edited 2006-09-21 06:12 in Propeller 1
Are there any plans either from Parallax or from an individual to develop a BASIC interpreter for the propeller?

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-09-14 03:16
    I'd say chances are Zero. The Propeller has a built in interpreter for Spin. It's part of the hardware. Spin is nearly as easy and much more powerful than BASIC, so why bother? A C compiler for cog's machine code would be more likely, but I don't know any specific plans in this area.

-Martin
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-09-15 04:00
    Not necessarily. What about a Basic Stamp 2 with a Propeller on it instead of a Scenix or PIC? It wouldn't be a "BASIC" interpreter, per se, it would be a "pBASIC" interpreter and a BASIC Stamp emulator, but you could use it in the BASIC Stamp demo boards and the Basic Stamp robots and program it in pBASIC or Spin. Is that doable? Maybe there are technical reasons it wouldn't work. It seems like it should though - I'm surprised Parallax hasn't done it yet.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-15 04:27
    Parallax hasn't done it yet for several practical reasons: 1) The Propeller chip is several times as expensive as the SX chip used in the Stamps. They hope to sell the Propeller in quantity for something over $10. The SX sells for at most 1/3 of that. 2) The Propeller chip is quite large physically and, even in the smallest package, is much larger than the SX chip. It may not be possible to physically produce a 24 or 40 pin DIP sized hybrid substrate with the Propeller on it. 3) As mentioned already, SPIN is a high level language (more sophisticated than PBasic) already available for the Propeller. Why create another language?.

Despite this, it should be possible to produce a PBasic compiler that would compile PBasic into either SPIN interpretive code or even SPIN source code using a library like the BS2 compatibility library already in the Object Exchange. In the absence of a physically compatible device, it's probably more useful to improve the BS2 compatibility library, improve the Propeller Tool, and publish some specific guides with lots of examples on converting PBasic to SPIN.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-15 16:47
    Without going into any specifics, there are currently no plans for a PBASIC Propeller. If you want a PBASIC-like Propeller, use the BS2 library functions availible from the Object Exchange.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-09-16 16:28
    Are there any plans at all to use the Propellor in a Stamp-like package? Kind of like a pre-assembled smd propstick?
    edited 2006-09-18 21:57
    Yes, there is a product in development called the PropStick USB which uses the QFN package. It will have·onboard a voltage regulator, eeprom, crystal, ftdi USB and reset switch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-09-18 22:18
    color me intrigued

gold star if it has the same footprint as the dip40

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2006-09-18 22:52
    Yes it does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-18 23:01
    a worthy successor to the stamp series indeed!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-09-18 23:07
    Oh wait, theres a bit of confusion here. No I was refering to it being compatible with the 40 pin Propeller in the DIP package, which is not the same as the BS2p40.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-18 23:54
    We were just discussing in class today how the PropStick would have been simplier if it simply had a header to connect a USB2SER or PropPlug/clip thingy to. Made us want to design one [noparse]:)[/noparse]

After talking about the 8051 for 4 weeks for background on 'typical controllers', today was the most energized I've seen the students as we started discussing the propeller and its architecture. Ideas and questions flying at me left and right..... of course that may have been because they got ragged on because most didn't read chapter 1 of the prop manual.

Speaking of the Prop USB, why does the USB2SER and PropPlug have different orders of pins? Aren't they essentially the same thing?

As I get these presentations I am using to teach with and supplement the manual material, I'll post them on line somewhere, and I'll work to make them into a tutorial such as we did with the BS2 Tutorial. Plans were for a text, which may still happen, but this would be the framework for it.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices
    edited 2006-09-18 23:56
    what I meant was that it was born of the search for the right micro to power the next basic stamp and is now taking a stamp-like form.

I was refering to the Propeller DIP40 package, though I can see how it could confuse others

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-09-19 13:27
    On the original subject of this thread ... There was a simple Basic interpreter written in SPIN that ran on the Propeller that was posted here shortly after the Propeller was released, I believe based on the TRS-80 Basic. This isn't quite what binaryweaver was asking about, but could be useful nonetheless.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-09-19 19:24
    Mike Green said...
    ...There was a simple Basic interpreter written in SPIN that ran on the Propeller...

I remember seeing that. It had a small handful of commands.
    I can't remember what that post was called though. Oh well.
    edited 2006-09-19 19:31
    Here is my copy of the archive. I don't have a link to the thread.
    zip
    fb.zip 30.2K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-20 23:47
    Martin Hebel said...(trimmed)
    Speaking of the Prop USB, why does the USB2SER and PropPlug have different orders of pins? Aren't they essentially the same thing?
    Martin,

·· Essentially, yes they are...But here are the differences...The USB2SER was used in the original development of the Propeller.· Later when Chip designed the PropClip he used the newer FT232R.· The USB2SER uses the FT232BQ, which had a higher parts count.· Anyway, when the PropClip was developed the order of the pins for programming was changed, and later when the PropPlug was made it was to be pin (order) compatible with the PropClip rather than the USB2SER.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-21 02:29
    Thanks Chris, can you tell me if the USB2SER will continue to be a supported/sold product since it seems to have been obsoleted by the others?

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-09-21 06:12
    Sorry to continue the hijack...

Could someone provide another picture of the bottom of the PropClip?

I just (disconvered) this existed this morning. It looks interesting, but without seeing the back-side and dimensions, how could I make a decision if I need one???

Thanks,

-Parsko

PS- There are other Parallax products that suffer the same single-picture dilemma