Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What can I do that is cool — Parallax Forums

What can I do that is cool

Mark PepperMark Pepper Posts: 14
edited 2006-09-20 12:10 in Propeller 1
Hi

I'm very new to the Propeller (having had a demo board for a week now) but haven't had much time to do anything other than read.

So my question is: Can anyone point me to anything that I can do with the Propeller demo board that is very cool, just to keep my (and my wifes) enthusiasm going please. Are there any VGA games or maybe robot code that I can play around with for example?

Mark

Comments

• Mark PepperMark Pepper Posts: 14
    edited 2006-09-19 16:56
    Does the zero replies to my post mean that there is nothing cool available for the Propeller yet? Or was it a daft question that I asked?

I think the Propeller OS looked pretty cool and promosing. Anyone thought about producing a Propeller Oscilloscope or just logic analyser with VGA display? That might be cool. How about the obligatory Pong game or space invaders (Mind you I liked Galaxians best)? That would be cool for a single chipped device.

Just some thoughts..................

Mark
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-09-19 17:09
    I'm pretty sure the zero replies are due to everyone off playing with their propellers.

I think pretty much everything mentioned has been done, just look through the older threads
    AndreL would be the one with all the games, being the one with the Hydra, I haven't seen code for those games, but I am sure that it does exist, at least as source code to go with the hydra book

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-19 17:14
    Mark Pepper said...

·Anyone thought about producing a Propeller Oscilloscope or just logic analyser with VGA display? That might be cool. Mark

Amusing, Im just finishing a logic analyzer that works on VGA·or TV. I will release it today or tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-09-19 17:28
    Everything the Propeller does is cool... for 80MHz, it even runs cool. Now, the term cool is relative and implies that you have something to compare it to.

Do you have anything in particular in mind that you want the Propeller to do?

ALL of these are certainly possible and to some point have already been implemented simply to provide conceptual proof.

Propeller Oscilloscope
    logic analyzer with or without VGA
    even Pong
    space invaders? does Asteroids count?

Here is a growing list of 'objects' that reveal some of what the Propeller can do
    http://ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

The Propeller is a very dynamic processor and is only limited by ones imagination, there are more possibilities in the way of applications that
    nobody can comprehend at the moment, but as code for this new processor matures, amazing possibilities are definitely on the horizon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2006-09-19 18:11
    Well think about, the hydra probably has a game engine, or engine design for making games on your own. Also, there is now a Music synthesis application and a 3D wireframe demo application also. As time progresses, and/if the propeller gets an internal memory increase, or an increase of cogs, I can foresee physics engines in games, or FPS, or games with feedback to controllers allowing more realistic gameplay.

With the increase in cogs, this will allow more autonomous robots, maybe even image analysis onboard the propeller instead of off loading to a PC.

Remember, the realm of human inspration and imagination is endless, if you put enough time and effort into something, you can make it happen.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-09-19 18:35
    Just think of something you always wanted to do or build and give that a try on the Propeller.
    I already started thinking about what I was going to use the chip for before it even released.

With 8 processors it can't be too hard to think of something. ^^
    --Andrew Arsenault
    edited 2006-09-19 19:56
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Mark Pepper said...

·Anyone thought about producing a Propeller Oscilloscope or just logic analyser with VGA display? That might be cool. Mark

Amusing, Im just finishing a logic analyzer that works on VGA·or TV. I will release it today or tomorrow.
    Paul
    Where will the logic analyser be published please. I can't wait.

Mark
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-19 21:38
    Its already availible in this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=606048

We will be creating an Applications section on the Parallax website. Once that has been created it will located there as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-20 12:10
    Thank Paul, I hve just downloaded it and will play with it later.

It's a good idea to have an application section on the website too as trauling through posts is a pain.

Mark