Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2.5" LCD A/V Display ? — Parallax Forums

2.5" LCD A/V Display ?

janbjanb Posts: 74
edited 2006-09-19 13:32 in Propeller 1
Hi,
I'm thinking about 'serious' project involving Propeller and 2 or 3 LCD displays.
In short it·would be·sort of stereo vision·system· with alternating frames displayed at ~10Hz,
with perhaps the 3rd LCD monitor·used control+mause+keyboard. But not a movie display - rather static geometrical forms.

I have few questions:
1) is there any detailed documentation of this nice cmpact 2.5" LCD display?
I mean: #pixels in x,y, #colors, refresh rate, pin layout, brightnes, power consumption?
So far I found only this link:
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-32000

Some reference to the actual harware/manufacturer used to build this gadget would be nice.

2) is there any Propeller·demo OBJ·so I could see how big is this OBJ· (will 3 cpies fit in to memory?)

3) how hard it is to compose my own fonts - I'll need special characters - I have seen some font editor.

Perhpas someon is working on similar project?
Any suggestions if it·does it make sense to drive 3 displays with the Propeller?
·Is it not too much for this processor?
Thanks in advance for any links or advices
Jan·

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-09-19 02:40
    Hey janb:

I can answer the first question, or at least a portion of it until people provide more complete information.

This·display is commonly sold under the trade name "Pustom" - give Google a try for "Pustom 2.5" and you'll find some more data. Also, you should know that·Pustom is not the·OEM - it's·an unknown company in China. In fact, we can buy·similar versions of this display·with different electronics in them from different suppliers.·Recently we·changed to a new supplier, but I think their first delivery has not arrived at our warehouse. I believe Chris Savage once measured the current draw and it was around 300 milliamps.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • janbjanb Posts: 74
    edited 2006-09-19 03:00
    Hi,

Thanks a lot. So each display needs 2 extra cogs· and 3 pins.

I just tried to add the second instance of TV_terminal OBJ to one of your demos

· TV··· :······ "TV_Terminal"
    · TV2··· :······ "TV_Terminal"

Press F8 - it does not fit in to memory skull.gif !

Does it mean I can't drive 2 such DISPLAYs using one Propeller?

Any advice at this spoint? This looks like a non-starter.

Jan
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2006-09-19 13:29
    Jan,

You *may* be able to run two TV objects, but each one would require up to 12,288 bytes @ 16X12 tiles.

The graphics demo uses double buffering to make the display more steady. Doing that you use ~75% of the prop's memory before you even start the TV object or anything else.

On my project, I was able to do away with the double buffering, but I have to keep track of what I last had on the screen in a sense of objects. Each time I take a new reading from my DAQ I only change what has changed and at the begining, I do not clear the display. This allows me to do a lot more, But I have to design it carefully.

Hope this helps.

Jim
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-19 13:32
    I believe TV_Terminal uses the graphics driver which does take a lot of memory for the display buffer. If you just need text, you can use tv_text which uses very little memory (relatively). I've run a hires VGA text driver and a TV text driver at the same time with a fairly large program with no problems and maybe 1000 longs to spare for stack, etc.

Mike