Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HB-25 Motor Controller object — Parallax Forums

HB-25 Motor Controller object

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-09-11 09:53 in Propeller 1
First of all, glad to be back. I got busy at work traveling and of course a good Summer time.

I am now catching up on all the threads and must admit completely overwhelmed. I will be needing more than the heavier help I have been getting from you all in my quest to Prop.

So, here;s my first ?n of the day.
I realize the HB-25 (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29144) is PWM enabled and behaves just like how a servo would. I am curious if anyone has written a hb-25 object for interfacing w/ the prop.

any pointers and help is greatly appreciated.

I am getting ready to buy the starter kit, a a couple of propsticks and HB-25 for my Etraxx electric autonomous robot. Wish me luck and your help !!

Thanks in advance

alibe

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2006-08-23 15:27
    Look for the Servo32 object on the Object Library.
    RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    www.parallax.com
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-08-23 16:23
    RoboGeek,

That should work for controlling One "HB-25 Motor", but controlling Two over the same cable will be a different story.
    I believe Chris Savage would be better at answering that question though since he has worked quite a bit with the HB25.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-08-23 19:46
    RoboGeek, thanks. I will check out the servo lib
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-23 22:48
    Hello,

·· An HB-25 Object is in the works.· With all the great new products it's hard to find time to work on everything, but we're getting there.· Stay tuned.· Beau is right...The HB-25 has an additional mode that allows two HB-25 Controllers to share a data line.· The object will handle this.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-08-24 12:38
    thanks - looking forward to it. I believe my project will only need one hb-25 to control the 2 motors on my etraxx. While you guys are building the hb-25 object, I will ready thru the servo obj.
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2006-08-28 01:45
    You're welcome, ALBIE. If you need more flexibility, try PULSOUT in the BS2_Functions OBJ.
    RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    www.parallax.com
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
    edited 2006-08-29 16:06
    When using a standard servo or PULSOUT object with the HB-25, one thing you need to make sure is that you don't exceed the minimum and maximum pulse width allowed by the HB-25.· If you do it will shut the motor down immediately, which may be undesireable in a given application.· The HB-25 object will limit the values you can use to prevent that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-09-09 15:29
    Chris,
    just a friendly follow up on this HB-25 object effort. Is it at a stage where i can beta-test?

no pressure

thanks
    edited 2006-09-10 06:10
    Hello,

·· To follow-up I have an object which I should be finishing tomorrow.· There's some information I am waiting for this week before I continue working on the HB-25 object.· Gievn that I would say that next weekend I should be able to get it at least functioning.· Right now what I have is framework, but in trying to make it more understandable I am writing the main code in SPIN rather than ASM.· To that end I will be using the counters to generate the pulses, but I need to hash out some details first.· I will keep you posted.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-10 12:57
    Chris, thanks for your help and effort on this object.
    As you're designing and writing this wrapper, are you considering to encapsulate the "set and hold" the pwm setting or do you see that is something the obj consumer to handle w/i their own app via a separate and dedicated cog?

thanks, Alibe
    edited 2006-09-10 18:34
    The HB-25 requires a single pulse to maintain its speed/direction, so the object will only deliver a pulse when a change is made.· There is no need/point in constantly refreshing the HB-25 from a dedicated object.· By pulsing only when needed, EMI/RFI is also reduced.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-11 09:53
    thanks - that's great to know.